So, remember my brace that'd hold my trombone up for me?
It didn't quite work out as planned. In fact, I think the way that it completely changed how I held my horn and what muscles were used screwed up more with other parts of my arm and shoulder, actually causing more pain. I had a terrible pain day on Wednesday.
In other words, I’m temporarily scrapping the new, custom brace in favor of my old, not so sophisticated brace. In addition to that, I have been waiting for my miracle cure to come in the mail from Toronto. It had been a few weeks since Doc had ordered the Ergo Bone, and we had no idea how long it would take to get to Waverly, Iowa.
I had been waiting somewhat impatiently since Thursday after my trombone lesson when Doc gave me permission to open the package when it came. I was perpetually bugging Marcia, the music office administrative assistant, to see if anything came in the mail. It was rather amusing for both of us, really :)
Then, today after chapel, I stopped back in to see if the mail had arrived.
Lo and behold, IT HAD!!!!
I received a miracle in a simple box from Canada. This device is a sort of harness and support system that will hold my trombone up for me, relieving my arm and wrist of all duty of bearing weight.
I assembled it soon after I got it (of course, since I was so excited!), and so far, it seems very promising.
I think the only thing now will be to keep fiddling around with it, figure out a way for my wrist to not have to provide so much torque to keep it in a normal playing position, and taking pictures of me using it!
I'm THRILLED that this came today, and I'm really excited to put it to use during Christmas with Wartburg, and probably even on tour in Europe this coming May.
This literally could be the answer to all my trombone problems.
PTL
No comments:
Post a Comment