Monday, October 24, 2011

Receive Who You Are

A few thoughts on communion.

You might hear "The body of Christ, given for you" or "The blood of Christ, shed for you" as you receive the bread and the wine during communion.
This guy in the video below experienced something different at a church once; while being handed the bread, the communion officiant said to him, "receive who you are."
Woah.
Though, if you think about it, you're receiving the body of Christ, and WE as believers and wonderfully created children of God ARE the body of Christ...
Definitely something to think about.

The communion liturgy/delivery/words spoken become familiar over the years, particularly when one hears the same pastor(s) recite the same words every time.  I have found that I can often say most of the words right along with him or her.
Once when I was visiting a different congregation, however, the pastor used words that were much different than I usually heard.  Part of it went something like this:
Instead of "Take, eat. This is my body, given for you. Do this in remembrance of me,"
she said, "Take and eat. This is my body. I love you. Remember me."
The ritual that communion often becomes can hide the true meaning behind it--Jesus loved us so much that he sacrificed himself, his own body and blood, so that we can live, be forgiven, and eternally feast with him in heaven.
Jesus loves YOU.
Remember that.


No comments:

Post a Comment