Wednesday, September 10, 2014

hug patrol

I must confess, I do let little things bother me sometimes.

For example, today's annoyance was getting a new prescription refill from the doctor's office, and having to transfer to yet ANOTHER new pharmacy. I just want there to be a simple fix to things and to be able to talk to real people in real time, not automated phone systems. 

Then I get frustrated and flustered and cranky. 

Since today was one of my precious days off, and the last thing I want to be doing is being stressed, I knew I had to find a way to turn my attitude around. 
Here's what I tried. 

Step 1: eat lunch. Simple solution, and it can make a world of difference. 
Step 2: put on comfy, oversized "Hug Patrol" sweatshirt. It's like a hug in a piece of clothing, between the warm fuzziness and the camp memories I associate with it. 
Step 3: take selfie while wearing the aforementioned sweatshirt and post it on Facebook. I miss giving hugs sometimes, so I figured I'd try spreading the love long distance to my friends online. 
Step 4: receive lots of comments on said selfie, thanking me for the hug and sending one back. 

Man, I really felt the love today. 
Who knew one simple picture could make such a big difference? I know it's not quite the same as a real in-person hug, but it felt so good to be able to reach out to so many of my friends and receive so much support and affirmation from them, too. They didn't know (till I posted a comment later explaining myself) that I was having a bit of an off moment in my day and needed some extra love, but they gave it anyway. It gave me joy that I could brighten their day, and in return, they inadvertently brightened mine. 

Sometimes a great way of helping yourself is by helping others first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment