Wednesday, January 21, 2015

it's amazing to survive

finally buckling down to write the lesson plans for the evening,
I opened a new browser window
and typed the letters "p" and "a" in the search bar,
causing the web address for Pandora to come up.
I hit enter, 
which took me to the page and station I had bookmarked some time ago, 
my Caroline Herring station.

the first words I heard 
were from a song by the station-title artist
which I had never heard before:

it's amazing to survive.

I immediately switched the station to "Symphonic,"
a stock collection of classical music which I have begun to customize to my own taste.

however,
I paused to take in those words I just heard
(and to open up a new blog post,
as I felt some brief yet serious reflection coming on)
as I realized that these few, four words 
are not so insignificant in meaning.

so here I am.
writing,
pondering,
mulling over that phrase
it's amazing to survive,
as the sounds of Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" resonate through my apartment.

it truly is amazing,
if you think about it,
to have survived through the circumstances and events we each have experienced.

it is a blessing
to wake up each morning
with a new chance to do something, 
anything,
to make a difference.

it is wonderful
to be alive
and to feel 
the pain of hardship
the grief of loss
the frustration of anger
the fear of the unknown
the love of another
the peace of acceptance
the joy of satisfaction
the calm of contentment
the passion of justice
the richness of fellowship
the serenity of being alone.
each 
of these feelings
helps us to understand
that we are alive
and have purpose.

it is important
to be present,
to appreciate that which has intrinsic value
and recognize how extrinsic sources so quickly disappear.

I sit here,
dwelling in personal frustration and self pity,
realizing that 
it's amazing to survive,
that being caught up in the wonder of life is much more valuable 
than dwelling in sorrows,
and life is still very much worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment