(TL;DR - I'm feeling rather reflective and had a different but overall good
birthday.)
A birthday.
As a kid, it's a celebratory time with invitations and
parties and games and presents and a special theme and cut-out cake and presents
and friends and family and presents.
As a grown up, it can look a lot different.
I think I stopped having anything that might be called a
birthday party back in middle school. Birthdays
during my college years were spent at camp, and 3 of the 4 years with my
favorite elementary-age program in the forest.
When I'm at home, I have supper with my family - often requesting Dad's
pork tenderloin on the grill (my favorite).
I know one time we made strawberry rhubarb pie...it was amazing. Last year, I spent the day driving to the
Twin Cities and flying out to Washington to visit my extended family. Since I'm often out west around my birthday,
we either have the primary celebration with family or celebrate twice, with a
meal, more dessert, and invariably some presents I have to figure out how to
cram in my suitcase on the way back. I
think once have I ever spent my birthday with my boyfriend, and that instance
we were with family commemorating something else, actually. This year, I spent the day largely by myself.
For a number of years, now, I haven't celebrated my birthday
in a perhaps "traditional" way, at least according to societal
stereotypes. Sometimes I wish I
celebrated more. Sometimes I envy my
friends who make great plans to go out for drinks or a meal with coworkers and
friends, or whose friends surprise them with such festivities. I wish I had the desire and motivation to
organize some shindig.
Then again, I have a lot to be thankful for on this, my
birthday.
- My dear brother played a mini (i.e. two song) cello concert over the phone for me this morning.
- Multiple branches of my family called me.
- The friendly HR person in my new school district noticed my birth date (as she was helping me with payroll and insurance paperwork) and wished me happy birthday, in addition to being super patient with me.
- I ran into a friend at the grocery store. Not just an acquaintance, either - a friend with whom I've spent some quality time. I'm not used to such things, and I expect it will happen much more frequently in this town. I'm excited about that.
- I discovered that a monster cookie blizzard from Dairy Queen is quite delicious. I'm not entirely sure what's in it (I know there's M&Ms and some form of peanut butter), but oh it's tasty. A birthday treat does not necessarily require a candle in it.
- One of my best friends found a recipe to make stuffedpeppers in the crock pot, so that's what I cooked today. I do love cooking, so I'm glad I did something that brings me great joy on my birthday. (I haven't actually eaten the final product yet, as my stomach wasn't agreeing with me around suppertime, but I can't wait to try them tomorrow.)
- I bought fresh grown local peppers from a farmer's market. While there, I got a bonus free greeting card with a squirrel on it - reminded me of Wartburg.
- Speaking of squirrels, the Wartburg alumni office emailed its customary squirrel-video birthday greeting. I was quite pleased.
- I also got a lovely musical e-card from some friends at my last church.
- I unpacked many of my book boxes and filled one of my bookshelves. It's very satisfying to see full shelves with so many colorful spines.
- I wore a new shirt for the first time today. It's a lovely maroon, and I rather like it.
- I had friends text or personally message me with birthday greetings.
- I am humbled by the over 180 Facebook posts on my wall today. I've intentionally commented in response to each one of them. In these posts, I received countless well wishes in my new home and with my new job. One of my German host dads from 2010 Wind Ensemble tour wished me a bilingual happy birthday. I swear I can feel those long distance hugs. The customary camp (run around the room and back) and band (tuba euph) birthday greetings popped up and made me smile, as I frequently use those when wishing others well on their respective days. And, amongst all the simple yet meaningful greetings, these kind words stuck out to me:
I hope your year to
come is filled with many warm memories, love, and lots of laughter!
Here's to another
year of music making and spreading God's love - you are such an inspiration.
Hoping that fabulous
you is having a fabulous day!
Happy birthday Song
Bird!
May you enjoy a
marvelous day doing all the things you love.
I hope today is filled
with joy for what has happened and what is to come.
I hope it's a great
day and just the start of an even better year!
I may not have "lived it up" today,
as one friend
suggested I do,
but my goodness, do I have much cause to celebrate.
Celebrate today. Every
breath is a big deal.
- Kid President
No comments:
Post a Comment