In the past,
I've given something up
(most notably kissing, but that's another story)
(most notably kissing, but that's another story)
done photo-a-day challenges
(sometimes successfully, other times not so much)
tried to add some loose general idea
(like pray more or reflect on the day - great intentions, but hard to keep accountable)
and sort-of fasted.
(oatmeal for breakfast, small simple lunch, no snacking, normal supper)
Giving things up has never been a firm part of my Lenten experience or tradition, but I tend to resonate with the idea of adding something.
This year, I decided to be intentional with my time, particularly the time I spend with people in my community outside of the work day.
September through early June, I tend to be a hermit. I like to think of myself as both an extrovert and an introvert - about 50/50. I teach all day, come home, write lesson plans, cook supper, do more lesson planning, dink around on my computer, and go to bed. I'm quite serious when I say that summer is when I make up for my lack of social life during the school year. I do travel on many weekends, but there's even a lull in that during the winter months. Traveling to other places is refreshing and renewing, and it helps me stay connected with friends in many places. That being said, it does not help me to appreciate and become rooted in the community where I reside.
I told myself I would make time to spend with local friends and friends further flung at least once a week during Lent, sometimes including weeknights, not just weekends.
Did it work?
I'm happy to say I think so.
Here's a summary how my Lenten time manifested:
(sometimes successfully, other times not so much)
tried to add some loose general idea
(like pray more or reflect on the day - great intentions, but hard to keep accountable)
and sort-of fasted.
(oatmeal for breakfast, small simple lunch, no snacking, normal supper)
Giving things up has never been a firm part of my Lenten experience or tradition, but I tend to resonate with the idea of adding something.
This year, I decided to be intentional with my time, particularly the time I spend with people in my community outside of the work day.
September through early June, I tend to be a hermit. I like to think of myself as both an extrovert and an introvert - about 50/50. I teach all day, come home, write lesson plans, cook supper, do more lesson planning, dink around on my computer, and go to bed. I'm quite serious when I say that summer is when I make up for my lack of social life during the school year. I do travel on many weekends, but there's even a lull in that during the winter months. Traveling to other places is refreshing and renewing, and it helps me stay connected with friends in many places. That being said, it does not help me to appreciate and become rooted in the community where I reside.
I told myself I would make time to spend with local friends and friends further flung at least once a week during Lent, sometimes including weeknights, not just weekends.
Did it work?
I'm happy to say I think so.
Here's a summary how my Lenten time manifested:
- Fat Tuesday pancakes with work friends
- Ash Wednesday at a little country church with friends
- leading and encouraging at camp
- surprising a friend at church and having a long chat over brunch
- a few Wednesday evening Lenten services, meeting local church folks
- a weekend getaway with work friends, just for fun
- a local potluck and jam session
- an IA potluck and dance party
- a local baby shower
- a band concert with a college friend
- family time in my town
- hosting a potluck of local friends
- a local soup fundraiser
- a baby shower back home
- supporting a friend in a musical
- visiting my old church
- lunch with old church friends
- a walk with my family
- lunch with a friend
- making supper with a friend
My post-Lent social endeavors have continued to go well. For example, I'm going to go over to a local friend's tonight to watch a movie. That may not seem like a big deal to most, but I'll be honest, I'm not the best when it comes to "normal socializing practices" or "hanging out."
I've heard it said that it takes about 21 days to create a new habit. Perhaps, with a little continued effort, making time for my communities will be my new normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment