Sunday, July 18, 2010

I'm Glad that I'm a Counselor

This is my second summer on staff at Luther Park Bible Camp in Chetek, WI, and I absolutely love it. LOVE it.

I've worked in camp with junior high and elementary, on vacation Bible school teams to constituent churches, with family camp, with elementary Trailblazers, and every single week is a new adventure.

We sang just about every camp song possible at the Barron County Fair last Friday, rocking out in the Fair-time Chapel and drowning out the noise of the tractor pull.

Just this past weekend, I was retreat host for a group from United Cerebral Palsy, helping out with meals and activities for them. They had a campfire Saturday night and asked if some of us counselors would be willing to sing some songs with and for the group. I didn't make any promises because I knew that I and my team of 4 would probably be really tired--doing KP and dishes for all the meals plus other work really takes a lot out of you. However, I ran into another counselor who wasn't working the retreat and asked if she and maybe some others might be interested.

Out of the goodness of their hearts, about 7 or 8 counselors volunteered and quickly put together a small program of songs and a skit for the retreaters. They weren't getting paid, and they still gave their all and had a good time. The retreaters loved it--they got to learn some songs, request a few, make s'mores, and best of all, smile at and enjoy the kindness and generosity shown by the LPBC staff.

I really love being a camp counselor. I get to work with some of the best people ever, share the Good News in so many different ways, touch the lives of kids from 2 to 92, and just have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment