Tuesday, July 6, 2010

You can't put faith in a box either.

An expression says, "you can't put God in a box."

I agree with that.

Well, you can't put your own faith in a box either.

I've been struggling with a lot of faith-related things lately.
predestination vs. free will
what/who causes pain and suffering
interpretation of the Bible, literal vs. figurative vs. whatever

...basically a bunch of cases of trying to figure out who's right and who's not.

Because of recent circumstances, my home church just doesn't quite feel like home anymore. It's really distressing for me because all my life I've had my home church to cling to, to return to, a constant and safe place to be for nurturing my faith. Now, everything is changing. I don't know where I belong, what denomination to call myself, or what I firmly believe to be true.

BUT.

God never meant for our faith journeys to be comfortable.
Faith is radical.
It's about taking chances, making mistakes, getting messy.
Faith is your own, not for someone else to decide. We as Christians are often nurtured and helped along in our early faith lives, but there comes a time where faith breaks free of the mold that other people have been creating.
Faith needs to become our own, to be who we are, not who other people are or want us to be.

I can't have anyone else tell me exactly what I think. I make the final decision.
Sure, I can get suggestions and ideas of what other people believe, but ultimately, the choice is mine.

My faith doesn't have a denominational label. And it doesn't have to.
I've been baptized and raised PC(USA) Presbyterian, been immersed in ELCA Lutheran culture the last 2 years, and have been exposed to a wide variety of other faith ideas through mission trips, spring break service trips, college connections, you name it.
So many experiences have shaped my faith that putting one label on it wouldn't do it justice.
It would be like trying to put an elephant into a pop can.
Like trying to confine God to a box.
It just doesn't work that way.

I don't know a lot of things about my faith.
I'm not sure where dinosaurs fit into the picture of creation. I don't know if all the stories in the Bible actually happened or if some are meant only for teaching a moral. I have no clue what God thinks about homosexuality. I still wonder if God has absolutely everything planned out in my life and how much control I have over what happens. Heaven might be somewhere up in the clouds or a better version of earth--I haven't the foggiest idea.

Here's what I do believe:
God created everything and made it good. He said so himself.
God loves us so much that he sent Jesus Christ to die for my sins and for the sins of the whole world, so that we are no longer captive to sin. Jesus then rose again to give life to all who believe so that we can spend eternity with Him.
God has a plan. I am not privy to this plan, but I trust that God has things under control.
We are created in God's image for a specific purpose, given unique abilities and strengths.
We are created to be in community; we are not meant to be alone in our journey through faith and life.
We are called to share God's unending love with all of creation.
We are called to serve in whatever ways we can.

I don't have to know everything about my faith. In fact, I don't want to know everything.
I don't have to put a label on my faith.
My faith does not live in a box.

I am who God has created me to be.
I am a follower of Christ.
I'm not perfect,
I don't know everything,
and that's exactly the way I like it.

4 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I needed to hear this post. This is a lot of what I'm going through in my faith walk as well. It's not easy, not at all. It's troubling and scary, but like you, I feel God is sticking with me and is going to use this time in my life to form who I am in Him.
    Thank you for sharing this with me. I didn't know you blogged!
    I'm going to follow now- hee :)
    Love you!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post resonates well with me. It reminds me of my long process of deconversion. That's just to say I've been almost exactly where you are now, some ten years ago; and while my journey would take me down the path of disbelief (but retaining spirituality), yours may take a wholly different direction.

    At some point, if you already haven't, you'll want to ask yourself the more radical question of what faith even is and why it exists. In here you call it radical and individual, free of the mold in which it was formed. Fair enough, but what *is* it? A worldview? A feeling? A rational inference? A choice? Just the way one is born? Why and how exactly do you believe? What's the alternative and why is it better/worse? (not in general or objectively, but for YOU).

    In short, to doubt from within a faith-based framework (to "trust God" with faith issues) is half the journey. The other half, I've found, is to doubt the framework itself and question the very nature of one's faith; to trust not God (for God is among the doubted things) but only oneself, insofar as that is possible.

    Talk to Ramona, if it strikes your fancy. She and I had a couple of challenging and refreshing conversations about this some years ago.

    Peace,
    Claudio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a very honest and thought provoking post Laura. I'm glad that you're wrestling with your faith. It is so much easier to settle for easy answers or jettison the whole thing. It takes courage to do what you're doing because it isn't the safe path.

    Ramona and I are always available for conversation as you continue on this journey. If there are particular questions that you'd like to think through together let me know.

    Hope you're having a great summer.

    Blessings,

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Laura,
    You just became 100x more AWESOME! Remember our 1st yr when I had no idea what label I was and was forced to pick one. That sucked! I totally agree with you I think that when people put those labels on faith and just sit there they miss out on personal growth and learning about what else is out there. I have yet to label myself and try to just let myself be open to new ideas. I think faith is so personal and I am so glad you are allowing yourself to grow and better understand what is the truth for you!
    <3's Emily

    ReplyDelete