LVC was an amazing experience and taught me SO much about life as a whole, and for that, I am forever grateful.
Now I'm moving to another chapter of life: teaching music in public schools.
My position is shared between two school districts. In the Seneca School District, I teach 10 classes of general music, grades K-8. Every morning, I start up there, then around 11:30am I drive back down to Prairie du Chien where I teach music to five 2nd grade and two 3rd grade classes at Bluff View Intermediate, followed by a short drive across the railroad tracks to BA Kennedy Elementary to teach music to five classes of lovely kindergarteners.
Needless to say,
my life is all over the place.
However, right now, I wouldn't have it any other way.
I really enjoy different things at each of my schools. Each school and each class have their share of challenges and joys. I am very thankful for the variety I get, especially in age level. I love being able to repeat lessons and feel very confident with my K, 2, and 3 lessons, but I also love the chance to get into higher level concepts with my older students. I get the opportunity to be a part of multiple teaching communities, which as a first-year teacher can be a huge blessing, being able to pull from the experience and support of my colleagues.
I've officially survived the first two weeks of school, and I'm starting to settle in a bit.
I'm getting used to the commuting routine, including making sure I'm not late getting to my next building.
I'm figuring out how best to work with my students to create an environment of respect and fun.
I have a pretty solid routine of how each class starts and what my classroom rules are (having taught the same rules to so many classes, I know them backwards, forwards, upside down, and probably in a different language).
I also have a ways to go.
My apartment is still a mess of boxes and books.
I really need to go grocery shopping.
Not all my bulletin boards are done. (I have at least 6, and plans for more.)
I've felt super confused and lost.
I've raised my voice.
I've come home with a super sore voice.
I've sent students to the office.
I forgot to take posters down in my room that had a bunch of the pretest answers on them.
I've come home with a super sore voice.
I've sent students to the office.
I forgot to take posters down in my room that had a bunch of the pretest answers on them.
I still don't go to bed early enough...
I've almost cried in front of my students.
I've made students cry.
I've been overwhelmed.
I've almost cried in front of my students.
I've made students cry.
I've been overwhelmed.
I have in two weeks created 32 different lesson plans, 2 different music theory pretests, 1 syllabus (for my middle schoolers), and 5 seating charts (most classes just come in and sit in a circle).
I have gotten hundreds of students to sing.
I am surprising myself at how well I'm remembering names.
I have begun to teach all of my students the value of listening to music and what to listen for.
I have helped students understand how to make good choices.
I have encouraged my students to think for themselves.
I have explained what it means to do your best, even when you're not feeling the best.
I have taught even my youngest students what it means to be positive.
I have shared with my students that I KNOW they can do well.
I've made sure all my kindergarteners got on the bus.
I've connected with students.
I've connected with teachers in all three buildings.
I've laughed.
I've made my students laugh.
I've found help.
I've done my best.
Here's to many more days of exploration in a job I have a feeling I will continue to learn to love.
the music/band room in Seneca
the choir/general music room at Bluff View
my sneaky way of hiding the instruments from my kindergarteners
and how I brighten up the room!
No comments:
Post a Comment