Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why I love my job (part 1)

With teaching comes a plethora of stories.  I figure I should try and keep track of some of them, and share these joys, triumphs, and laughs.  Here are just a few of these moments from the past few weeks.
---

One of my 3rd/4th grade students gave me a definition for "accompaniment." It was very brave and confident, and it actually defined "a compliment" instead! Too cute.

One of my 1st/2nd grade students and I had this conversation:
She: I love music!
Me: I do too! That's why I teach it.
She: I want to be a music teacher.
Me: Someday, maybe you can :)

Every time I see one of my students outside of the classroom, they get a kick out of it.
Walgreens.  Germanfest in Guttenberg.  At church on Sunday morning (and that student colored a picture for me!).  At football games.
One unique story: I had a rehearsal for a worship band at church, and it was right after a wedding rehearsal got done.  I walk in the door, and there on the floor are two of my students, one from Prairie and one from Seneca, on the carpet of the foyer playing.  They were both super surprised and excited to see me, almost as surprised as I was to not only see them but also see two kids from my two different districts in the same unusual place and circumstance!

I have the joy of serving a number of students with special needs in my classes.  One is in a wheelchair, and I make sure that nothing stops her from participating in some way.  The first time we played xylophones, I pulled out a larger one on a raised stand so she could reach it, rather than not being able to play one of the smaller ones that sat on the floor.  The second time we rotated in a circle, with each student getting to play each instrument.  I happened to have a piano bench that elevated the small xylophones and glockenspiels to a height that she could play each one.  Every time we rotated, I put the previous xylo on the floor, slid the bench over, picked up the next one and put it on the bench, and handed her the mallets.  It was a lot of extra work for one student, but I did it.  And she got to play every. single. instrument. just like the rest of her classmates.  The whole class had a great time because everyone got to play and sing together, no matter their ability or skill level.

I like to have music playing as my students enter the room.  It keeps them quiet (usually) because I tell them to listen carefully, and it makes them think since I usually ask them a question about what they heard.  I was on a Les Miserables kick one day, so I had "Do You Hear the People Sing" playing as a third grade class was starting.  The students seemed to be more interested in this music than normal, which was cool.  Once we sat down, I asked them if they thought the music sounded sad, happy, angry, etc.  A TON of students answered, giving many good and different reasons.  They asked what the song was from, so I got to explain the premise/plot of the musical, show them how Les Mis is spelled, and have them try and pronounce it (which was hilarious).  We spent a good five or more minutes talking about Les Mis, just because we could.  It was awesome.

I got to help my coworker Mrs. Sturmer (other PdC general music teacher) corral 60-some fourth graders at a home football game to have them sing the national anthem.  That was a big adventure, and I'm glad I could lend a hand.  It was really neat to see Mrs. Sturmer in action, since I haven't really seen her teach (we both teach classes at the same times).  I also got to give some of the fourth graders advice about performance anxiety (which was really more just nervous excitement), explaining that it's a lot easier to sing with 60 other people in a big group than doing it solo.  I loved the chance to see this performance happen, what it takes to put something like this together, and be a part of this important experience in the students' lives.  What average fourth grader can say that they've sung the national anthem at a football game?  Thanks to Mrs. Sturmer and our music department, there are about 60 more than there were before.  Afterwards, she and I got to have some great conversation about school and life in general, something we don't get to do often with our work schedules as they are.

More and more, I am experiencing the kindness of the school communities in both Seneca and Prairie du Chien.  Offers from fellow teachers to just talk or get together sometime.  Support from other teachers and staff as I develop classroom management systems and figure out how to help particular students.  Hellos in the hallway or at the copy machine.  Little things that make me thankful for where I am and what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment