was the question posed by one of my third graders today in the middle of class.
He went on to explain that they had a different music teacher every year, so he wanted to know if I'd be back.
I couldn't tell why exactly he asked this.
Did he really hope I'd continue? Does he like my teaching? I'm not sure about this one; he's one of my students I often have to FIRMLY remind of appropriate behavior, thus I can't tell if he likes me or not. Perhaps he wanted to purposefully interrupt class with something not quite on topic. Maybe the thought just popped in his head, and he was curious.
I gave the class my most honest answer, which I will also share with you all out there in reader land.
Right now, my contract is just for one year. However, I really like my job as it is (as complicated and interesting as teaching in two districts is), and barring unforeseen circumstances, I'd like to continue as I am now. I genuinely enjoy working with my ALL my students at all my schools (even the more "difficult" ones), and I want to be there for them.
Being a part of small school districts in small town and rural areas of WI, I am not surprised at the turnover rate of music teachers. Maybe teacher turnover rate is high across disciplines besides just music, and maybe it's not the demographics of the area either. Growing up, I don't recall having tons of new teachers or seeing many teachers leave after just joining the district. Perhaps this is just something I never noticed. (I also grew up in a comfortable suburb where it would be very appealing for teachers to stick around.)
Because the general music position at Seneca is only part time, I can imagine that it's hard to get or keep teachers. This is no fault of the kids; economics and practicality play a lot into the decision to stay or go. I am blessed to work for two districts in a way that I can have full-time pay and benefits, in addition to serving and sharing my passions with two educational communities.
I could sense a little relief in the class after I shared my plans with them. I really think these students just need some consistency. Even they can tell that with consistent teaching, they can have a much greater potential learn, retain, and go somewhere with their knowledge.
Someone just needs to give them the chance to thrive.
Someone needs to love them until they ask why.
No comments:
Post a Comment