Friday, March 7, 2014

what to give up

As I was sipping on jasmine green tea this Ash Wednesday afternoon (a favorite flavor of mine from my time in LVC), I remembered for the first time since last year what I had given up for Lent 2013:
snacking.  
I had made it a point to eat light lunches and not snack between meals, in an effort to pseudo-fast, choosing to stay on the dissatisfied side of full to remember those who experience much greater hunger pangs than I.  It was a good experience, not from the hungry side of things but the mindfulness the practice brought.

All last week I was sick (including virtually no voice), and I've been swamped with school stuff, so Lenten spiritual practices have sort of snuck up on me.  
I've realized that I've been terrible at taking care of myself, going to bed close to or past midnight far too often, not eating well, worrying unnecessarily about things I cannot control in the moment, being passive and not speaking up for myself, not using my time efficiently, and then not feeling like I have made (or can afford to make) time for myself.

I think my Lenten practice will be to take care of myself.
to stop doing all school work BY 10:45 pm (though the earlier the better)
to work taking a shower into my daily morning routine rather than haphazardly occurring at odd times
to cook something truly from scratch at least once a week
to not beat myself up if I don't meet these goals
to be mindful of how I am treating myself 

because if I don't take care of myself,
I cannot be my best 
for my students, my friends, my coworkers, my family, 
for God and the life and work God has for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment