For a person who loves to talk and sing, this is incredibly difficult.
It hurts to have a conversation.
Literally.
I have to be so near to the person with whom I'm speaking in order to be heard.
My lack of voice fuels my fears.
It makes me worry about how I will teach my students this week.
Showing up to worship without being able to sing is so, so painful for me. I know the notes I want to sing, how my vocal cords feel to get a certain note out, the beautiful melodies and harmonies I long to create. But when I try,
nothing.
A squeak, perhaps.
A (literally) rough reminder that right now,
I just can't sing.
Surrounded by others whose voices are awake and alive,
I sit here in in my pew,
silent.
Instead,
my voice flows from my soul.
Each blessed note,
every chord,
the beautiful music resonates in my mind.
And God hears it.
I cannot speak,
but I can listen.
I hear the voices around me, and I appreciate them all the more.
I sing vicariously through the sweet sounds of those who can.
Instead of doing, I am being.
I cannot speak, but I can be present.
I cannot be who I desire to be right now, but I can still be alive.
I cannot sing aloud, but I can sing with my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment