#100happydays
day 3 (April 29)
day 3 (April 29)
Why on earth would I be happy about my swollen post-major-crying eyes that I woke up with this morning?
Because I can walk out the door and be okay with who I am, without makeup.
I stood in front of classrooms of students and interacted with hundreds of people today, knowing that I did not look my best, but despite that, I did my best.
Today I was more nervous about facing the day than I usually am.
I can be pretty self conscious about my appearance at times. I knew my ever-honest kids would ask or say something blunt and hurtful, but I was determined to not make a big deal out of things and just keep on trucking. I considered addressing each class and thwarting comments, but I decided that was only going to draw unnecessary attention. I only had one student mention something outright, and I brushed it off. I could feel students' stares when I was discussing with them at close range, but nothing was said. We just focused on the task at hand.
I acted like all was normal. That set the precedent that everything was, in fact, normal.
Therefore,
it was.
For the record, I never wear makeup.
I honestly can't tell you the last time I did. I tried to find some in my apartment this morning, but after looking in the two places it might've been, I had no idea where to continue searching.
I could have quick run to Walmart or something, or frantically called up a fellow teacher friend,
but I didn't.
I just left for school, as is.
Puffy, tired eyes and all.
And I survived.
(Thankfully, by my afternoon classes, the swelling had gone down, and all was pretty much back to normal.)
[other things I'm happy about: the return of a student who had been gone for a month because of a major medical problem, an awesome out of the blue uplifting text from a dear camp friend, a clear answer, a pasty for dinner, success in new classroom management techniques, and Tie Dye Tuesday.]

No comments:
Post a Comment