Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Body Parts


"The human body has many parts, 
but the many parts make up one whole body. 
So it is with the body of Christ...
If the whole body were an eye, 
how would you hear? 
Or if your whole body were an ear, 
how would you smell anything? 
But our bodies have many parts, 
and God has put each part just where he wants it." 
[1 Corinthians 12:12, 17-18]


My back has been bothering me lately, on top of my wrists/arms/shoulders/etc.  It's really a bummer, let me 
tell you.
I've recently learned about a technique called "body mapping" that helps with balance and posture by training yourself to think about how your body is aligned and how you think about your spine, etc.  It's quite fantastic, 
and I really think I could latch onto it and help fix my various ailments.  
Unfortunately, it may also be causing my new pains, since I'm using my muscles and things differently than 
before, the way I used to do things virtually my entire life.
It's really frustrating when pain stops me from doing what I need to accomplish, and particularly doing what I love.  I'll be leaving on a service trip to tour with Hope Overflow (a student-led worship band) over winter break starting Friday, but I don't know how much I'll actually be able to play viola in the band because of my 
pain.

I've been thinking though....
In my many experiences on mission trips and service trips, I've learned that some of the biggest impact is made when you listen to people's stories. 
Make connections.  
Show that you care through doing what you can, even if what you can do doesn't feel like enough.
Pastor Ramona reminded me of the "Body of Christ" passage in 1 Corinthians, and I think she's right:
Maybe I can't be an arm or a back, 
but I can be an ear to listen, 
a voice to comfort, 
and a heart to care and love.



No comments:

Post a Comment