Monday, October 15, 2012

Water Water Everywhere,

but not a drop in our house.  
Running water, that is.

The Dorothy Day house is experiencing a period of no running water since yesterday afternoon.  
Our shower faucet has been having issues turning off as of late, and now it decided to not turn off...I wasn't home when it happened, but apparently we had some guys from DW/P Church next door come over to shut the water off completely.  Sometime today they'll be coming by to fix it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Having no running water gives one a different perspective on things.  

We can't wash the dishes, use the faucet to brush our teeth, cook without some amount of difficulty...we can't even flush the toilet.  (Don't worry, if anyone has to go #2, we have a key to the church next door and can use their bathroom.)
As I've brushed my teeth the past two times without running water, I remember a time in Girl Scouts when we had to try brushing our teeth with only using the water in one small cup.  It was an object lesson to help us realize how much water we use and teach us about conserving resources.  Even when I did that, I specifically remember going immediately for the faucet to wet my toothbrush before I started brushing.  It's hard to break old habits.  
Seth's family who has been visiting for the weekend bought us 5 gallon jugs of purified water that we can use to get by while we wait for the water to be fixed.  Definitely a help, but still weird to figure out how best to use it, not waste it, pour it without making a mess, etc.

I've realized how dependent I am on running water.  
And, at least for today, I have a new appreciation for it.  

Thank you God, for the blessing of clean, running water and indoor plumbing.  Please be with those who do not have such a luxury; give them ideas and imaginations to find solutions to their water problems.  Give me and all those who have running water a heart to remember and help those who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment