Sunday, November 4, 2012

My hero, Evalee

I had intended on writing this post at least a week ago.
Today, though, I finally have the motivation and reason to really write.

At 3:22 am, my hero Evalee Kunkel left her life here on earth to spend the rest of forever with God.
I really like putting it that way instead of just saying that she "passed away."  It gives me a lot more hope and puts death in a more positive light.

Evalee had been battling cancer (on/of the liver, I believe) for a couple of years.  Chemo had no longer been helping, and the tumor had enlarged so much that it was cutting off her intestines.  As of a short while ago, she'd only been given a few more weeks to live.  I could tell from continued Caring Bridge posts that things weren't doing well, and I decided that I would do my best to make it up to Eau Claire for the funeral when the time came.  Just a few days ago Brianna wrote that they'd been decreasing fluids and upping the morphine, and Evalee was rapidly declining.
We all knew it was coming.  In some ways this made it easier; in others, not.

Despite all the negative circumstances, I have seen so many blessings in the whole situation.  
Evalee has the best support system ever.
The teams of doctors and nurses have sounded absolutely wonderful.  She has four wonderful children, two of whom I am blessed to be good friends with.  Brianna, my dear friend, former boss, and mentor has been so strong and loving throughout everything.  Heather, my friend and fellow camp colleague is also a sweetheart; a dreamer, full of compassion.  Their support systems, including Joe and Bryan, are also wonderful.  Evalee's network of people have rallied around her in so many ways--people from Luther Park Bible Camp, her church, her work at UW-Eau Claire, her violin students...the list goes on.
She passed very peacefully.
Hospice care was able to move her home from the hospital a week or two ago.  "Fan mail" sent by countless people (including myself) whom Evalee had impacted over the years was read to her by Brianna and others on a regular basis.  She got to enjoy the company of her family and friends, beautiful music, relaxing comfort, and countless ice chips that she'd grown a great liking to.  In her last moments, basically all her family was around. It really sounded like the best way to leave this life for the next.

I also find it so perfectly fitting that she passed away on All Saints Day Sunday.  What a wonderful tribute to an incredible woman.

I wrote Evalee some "fan mail" not too long ago with a specific memory I had of her generosity and love.
Dearest Evalee,
Greetings from Milwaukee! I'm down in the city for a year working at a church as a member of Lutheran Volunteer Corps  I wish I were close enough to come visit you and your family, but know that I am thinking of all of you, sending prayers and hugs your way.  
Remember when you helped rescue the St. John's VBS team in the summer of 2011 when the transmission of our van gave out on Hastings?  You were an absolute God send to us then, and for me and so many others countless times.  You have always been an amazing example of strength and love to me, Evalee.  Thank you for always being there, ready to serve, mother, and care.

Evalee was like camp mom to me for a couple of years.  As a parish nurse at Grace Lutheran in Eau Claire, She used a week or two of her time every summer to be the volunteer nurse at Luther Park Bible Camp where I have worked (with Heather and Brianna), and where she and the Kunkel family have deep connections.  She was also the nurse coordinator for all the random medical things that needed to be taken care of (organizing, ordering things, etc.).  She was also just around a lot, so many of us at LPBC got to know her in many capacities.  The last time I saw her, I think, was at Brianna and Joe's wedding this past January.  She looked absolutely radiant in her beautiful gold dress.  She had been doing a little better, health wise, and seemed to be very much herself and able to enjoy the wedding to the fullest.

Words can hardly describe my admiration and agape love for Evalee.  She is an amazing individual, a wonderful child of God.
She is my hero.
I say "is" rather than "was" because I believe that though she's left us here on earth, that death is not the end for her, or for me or anyone else, thanks to Jesus.
Death oftentimes reminds me of my faith and leads me to cling tight to what I believe in.
It is here, 
in the shadow of death 
and never-failing light of resurrection, 
that I find my hope.


For more information about Evalee's journey through cancer and her loving support system, or for ways to help the Kunkel family in this time of transition, check out her Caring Bridge website here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/evaleekunkel

"Some days seem long, though life is brief,
And death is waiting like a thief.
When vision fades and dreams go dry,
We will on unseen things rely.
Our stories take up but a page,
But yours goes on from age to age.
I AM forever who I AM.
Above you, beneath you,
Around you and within you.
Be still and know that I AM God."
--I AM Forever Who I AM

1 comment:

  1. Wow very well stated, you shed positive feelings on a time when most people only feel negative feelings, thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete