Saturday, November 17, 2012

Categories

What's the Danger in Categorizing People? is Donald Miller's latest blog post on Storyline.


I was reading through my Twitter feed and saw both Don's tweet advertising the blog post and Derek Webb's retweet (I'm a fan of both those guys; they create wonderful, thought provoking writing and music, respectively). 

This post really resonates with me.  I struggle with identity and acceptance as much as the next person, even though I may seem like I'm a very confident, put together woman who knows who she is.  In the past three years, I've grappled with what I believe and where I belong in communities of faith, what denomination with which to affiliate.  I'm at that odd stage in life where I'm post-college, transitioning in living situations and in friend groups, figuring out physically and socially where I belong.  

Don's post reminded me that 
I am who I am.
I don't have to conform or fit in completely to a particular group.
It's darn near impossible for anyone to completely agree to everything a group believes in,
and that's okay.
Just like I've come to understand that I can't put God or faith in a box, 
I don't have to put myself in a box.

I am free to be myself,
and so are you.


Whoever you are out there,
whatever you're going through in life,
wherever you feel like you fit in
or don't fit in, 
you should totally read this article.

1 comment:

  1. Love read your posts, dear. I totally agree!
    Such an odd stage we are at...but so beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete