Friday, November 9, 2012

the ring on my finger


and no, this is not a cheesy sentimental engagement post,
though another two of my friends just got engaged recently (yay Shayla and Chris!) and I'm of that age/stage in life where a lot of my friends are getting engaged and married.

I'm talking about this ring:
the cross ring I wear on my middle finger.

I was thinking about it the other day.
I've worn this ring since sometime shortly after the summer after my senior year of high school, I think.  I got it as a reminder to myself of the commitment I made to God on the mission trip I went on that summer with my youth group.  It wasn't any sort of "accepting Christ" thing (that's not my style), but I decided on that Thursday of the mission trip that I wanted to live my life for God and to do God's work, that kind of thing.  I didn't have any great revelation as to exactly what God's will for my life was at that point, but one thing that I discerned was that God wanted me to help people.  Really vague, but something.  That night, it meant giving out Kleenexes to my friends who needed them (the Thursday night program on mission trips was affectionately referred to as "cry night").

Since then,
the ring has been lost,
replaced with one that's exactly the same,
gotten bent up
(it's a pretty cheap ring I got at a Christian bookstore, so it's definitely not a perfect circle anymore)
switched between my right and left hands multiple times,
and has become a normal part of my hand
that I often don't notice.

But sometimes,
I remember.

I remember the promise I made.
I remember God's promise for me.
I remember my calling:
to serve.
I wonder what it means to live out my call
and where my call will take me.
I regret not living up to my promise
but I remember that I'm still just human,
so it's okay to fail
and God still keeps the promise,
always giving me another chance to keep mine.

What sort of reminders of your faith or your promises to God and/or others do you display?

No comments:

Post a Comment