I know this post may be long, but I implore you to read to the end, or just skip to the end. My last thoughts are the ones I really wish to leave with everyone, to make people think.
----------------------------------
As a certified first responder,
I can only imagine...
and this doesn't include the COUNTLESS other acts of gun-related violence, even just in the city of Milwaukee, nor does this include acts of violence that are not gun-related, or any violence that has or will occur outside the U.S.
how would I be able to stay calm in a time like this?
As an older sister,
I'm afraid.
Frankly, I'm beyond afraid.
My only brother goes to a K-4 elementary school.
How seriously do people take lock down drills at schools,
and how seriously will they take them now?
Why must children even be afraid to go to school?
Isn't there anywhere our children can be safe?
As one who has been present at a live press conference,
I feel for the people making announcements to the media.
prodding questions coming from the press despite statements of "we're not answering any questions at this time"
trying to be objective
releasing only as much as possible
trying to only release the truth
if I were up there in front of the bouquet of microphones,
I'd be shaking like a leaf.
How would I, as one humble individual, be able to deliver such weighty news to the world?
As an average citizen of the United States,
sitting in my living room watching the news reports on my TV,
I am sickened that someone in this nation would attack our children,
the future of this nation.
I am currently proud of the government and emergency agencies of this nation,
the way that the governor of Connecticut is staying with the families,
making sure that the families of the victims know the truth first, NOT the media
making sure they receive as much justice as possible.
(numbers including shooters who shot themselves or were shot by police, as they deserve to be remembered as well)
Columbine, CO, April 1999, 14 dead.
Virginia Tech, April 2007, 33 dead.
Aurora, CO, July 2012, 12 dead.
Oak Creek, WI, August 2012, 7 dead.
Newtown, CT, December 2012, 26 dead.
and this doesn't include the COUNTLESS other acts of gun-related violence, even just in the city of Milwaukee, nor does this include acts of violence that are not gun-related, or any violence that has or will occur outside the U.S.
what next?
how long, O Lord?
How. Long.
| The most striking, emotion-capturing photograph I have seen in the news coverage thus far. |
It's not a question of "how evil does one have to be" to do something like this.
Remember mercy and grace.
There's so much more to this case of shooting than any of us can truly understand or imagine.
Please, don't jump to conclusions yet.
Rash decisions, fierce anger, harsh words are not what we need.
I wish the media would slow down and wait for the actual facts.
We don't need mindless hasty information and assumptions.
We need the TRUTH.
What Newtown, Connecticut--and the world--needs right now is prayer, peace, and change.
It's okay to be angry,
BUT
let us USE our anger to create change.
Thank you Laura for this. We really do need change! I want to do something to end all this violence, and not just with the numerous shootings but all violence! Our nation and world is hurting right now and we need to do something about it! It can't just be words, but action needs to take place!
ReplyDelete