Tuesday, January 22, 2013

When I grow up

...who am I kidding. I don't WANT to grow up!
Let me rephrase.

When I get older, I'm going to be a(n) _______.

[insert job/profession/occupation/vocation here]

Music Teacher!
I love teaching people, I adore kids, I love the challenge of figuring out how best to explain something so it makes sense, I love helping people succeed, I love music and teaching it to people, I love sharing the value of music.
The list goes on.

Youth/family/children/cross-generational director/leader/thingy at a church!
I love working with youth and people of all ages, there's a lot of variety and challenge in a ministry setting, I love mentoring, I love listening and hearing people's stories, I love writing curriculum and figuring out activities and games to do, I can fairly easily incorporate my passion for music in a plethora of ways.
Etc.

Program director at a bible camp!
Basically, see list above, and add the outdoors.

Music director at a church!
See music teacher and youth/etc director lists and combine.
And then some.

Occupational therapist!
I love solving problems, I love helping people deal with/recover from/prevent injury and want to help  them feel better, I love listening to people, I value empowering others to be self sufficient,
And,
I know the value and importance of OT because I've been through it myself.

Life coach!
I love empowering people, I love helping them realize their worth and potential, I love helping them help themselves, I feel like I give really good pep talks and can be pretty motivational, I love solving problems, I love listening to people, I love workin with people of all ages and backgrounds, I love the challenge of figuring out how best to explain something so it makes sense
And more.

Pastor!
Includes teaching, youth work, cross generational work, problems solving work like OT, life coaching (ie pastoral care), job variety,
not to mention music, worship, faith, exploring beliefs, loving Christian community,
AND MORE.

See how much all these overlap?
Uff da. 

And none of this brainstorm takes into account the other factors of location, distance from home, support network, living situations, civic engagement, community, perhaps a little thought on income and benefits...yeah.

My dad took 5 years to work and get life experience and stuff between graduating with his bachelor's and starting his masters program.
I feel like I may take after my dad.
I feel like I need more time and more life experience before I can figure out what I'm going to do when I grow u...I mean, when I get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment