Watching the ground getting increasingly smaller as you ascend to the clouds,
Cutting through the opaque mist,
Arriving in the glory of the sunshine as you burst through the clouds,
No matter what the weather is below you, where you began.
Flying
Is something I'm willing to wait for
To be extra courteous to airline and airport employees
Despite the stresses that accompany flight delays:
physical strain sprinting from concourse to concourse
the rawness of my throat from breathing so heavily
that I have to use my inhaler
Fatigue from being up since 3:45 in the morning
And desire to just get out of Minnesota and on the plane to Cali
as my time at the Extravaganza is slipping away.
But I have little control over my travel now.
I've tried my best,
running as best as I could with a suitcase in tow to catch my flight,
waiting as the seventh in line for standby at a full plane
hopeful.
Now, in my surrender of control, I can enjoy the time I have
reading a book—for fun
taking a nap
buying an expensive smoothie
and enjoying its fresh, made in front of me, real fruit, healthy goodness
finding joy in the birds that got into the concourse from the ongoing construction
and being present.
Wherever and however my next few days are spent,
I will spend them well,
as they are a gift
and a chance for me to learn and enjoy another moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment