Monday, August 24, 2015

acoustic covers - part 1

If you know me, you know I love music. 
A lot.
It's my job,
it's what I do for fun,
it's my passion. 

I was listening to Simply Folk, a show of folk music, etc. on Wisconsin Public Radio back in May of 2015 when I heard a song from the Broadway show, Les Miserables.  I thought to myself, this isn't really folk-y... but instead of completely writing it off, I thought, what if I made some arrangements of musical theater tunes in a folk style?

So I crowdsourced some ideas from friends on Facebook and started my project.

First, there were these two songs:

"Till There Was You" from The Music Man

"On the Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady

after which I took quite a hiatus while focusing on other endeavors and travels and stuff this summer.  Then I had a hankering to play my guitar again, so I pulled out an old tune I'd worked on during college.  I enjoyed it so much, I made a recording and posted it as well (though it's not in the Broadway-goes-acoustic realm, just the acoustic one).

"When I Was a Boy" by Dar Williams

If you have ideas of show tunes or hymns or other songs that might sound good (or totally out of the ordinary) on guitar, send them my way.  I have more songs in the works; I have a feeling this will be an excellent side project for me for quite some time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment