but I have NEVER described myself as a girly-girl.
- I
- Lace is really not my thing.
- I've owned a total of about five Barbies in my entire life, and all but maybe one were gifts.
- I don't wear makeup. (I'm pretty sure I don't even own any right now.)
- I totally had a dinosaur phase as a kid.
- My brother got hand-me-down Legos that used to be mine.
On the flip side,
- I do love skirts, particularly long and twirly ones.
- I definitely appreciate a good, sappy rom-com.
- I have long hair, and I rather like it.
- I, too, will go to the bathroom in pairs when in public.
- I had Molly (American Girl) doll growing up.
- When I was little, Mom and I would have tea parties with cute mini plastic chinaware.
I am uniquely myself, thank you very much.
Needless to say, when I heard about Target's gender-neutral toy advertising decision, I was THRILLED.
Why is something like taking down the 'boys' and 'girls' signs important?
"Gender-neutral marketing and merchandising is about much
more than political correctness; instead, it’s a sign of the times, one that
points to a shift away from strictly limited gender roles and towards a world
where everyone can pursue their interests and talents without feeling like the
odd one out."
(read more in Signs of the Times: Why 'A Mighty Girl' Supports Gender-Neutral Toy Signage)^ You should seriously read that whole article. I agree with so much of it.
Some individuals are crying out that non-gendered advertising is "[giving] in to the LGBT," or that Target's "decision to not identify girls with pink and boys with blue is ridiculous." (Both quotes are from Facebook users who posted publicly and directly on the official Target page.) Others are concerned that they will get confused as to which merchandise is boys vs. girls, particularly clothing. (For the record, Target said they were only going to nix the gender-specific signage in the toys and bedding sections, NOT clothing - see their official announcement in the first link in this post.)
Personally, I believe that using gender-neutral advertising opens up doors.
It actually makes a lot of sense to categorize toys by topic (like dress up, science, Frozen) rather than by gender (A Mighty Girl sites the example of 'building section' instead of 'building sets' and 'girls building sets').
It means that children and youth are free to choose toys and things without the social pressure to fit into a stereotyped mold.
Little girls are free to get toy trains and battling action figures. Or an easy bake oven and baby dolls. Little boys are free to get an easy bake oven and baby dolls. Or toy trains and battling action figures. If they choose toys that are usually considered to fit with their gender, that's fine. If not, that's cool too.
They are free to be who they are without the fear of ridicule or correction or scornful glares.
Be proud of who YOU are - and please, let others do likewise.
No comments:
Post a Comment