I'm sick (again...) and have placed myself on voice rest to save what little voice I have. I've been blowing my nose a lot, and that really puts a damper on going out in public. When I'm under the weather, I dread the "passing of the peace" because it's more like the "passing of the germs," not to mention it's really hard to pass the peace silently. And on top of it all, the high for today is NEGATIVE TWO DEGREES, not including wind chill. Uff da.
So, I wasn't going to go to church.
I had it all planned out. I was going to stay home, read faith related book I've been slowly working through, and maybe break out a hymnal from my growing collection and play a few tunes (without singing, of course).
But then I got into a conversation.
(Typed, not spoken. I'm on voice rest, remember?)
One of my best friends and I were chatting on Facebook and discussing parenting, having both seen and read an article entitled "The collapse of parenting: Why it’s time for parents to grow up." It makes some interesting points. It's definitely worth a read, especially if you're a young adult thinking of someday having kids or a new/expecting parent wondering how to raise your children.
Here's how part of our conversation went:
(Note: she's in italics, I'm right-justified.)
-----
My husband and I are planning to raise our [future] children similarly to
how we were raised, because we see its value. Not entirely, but mostly.
I see a lot of value in how my boyfriend's parents raised him.
And yourself?
There are some things I don't like about my upbringing that I will want to
avoid, but a lot of things (the precedence that going to church is what we do; we eat dinner at the dinner table as a family as much as humanly
possible; everyone goes to each other's concerts and performances to support;
eating well balance meals that cover most food groups; the importance of
spending time with family; using good manners) I will definitely do.
I'd frame going to church like "it's what we do." It's not a conscious choice of "oh, I just don't feel like it". If you don't go, there's a good excuse (like me this morning and my health)
I'd frame going to church like "it's what we do." It's not a conscious choice of "oh, I just don't feel like it". If you don't go, there's a good excuse (like me this morning and my health)
But has that prevented you from making your faith your own?
(Devil's advocate here)
No, it hasn't. I never felt forced to go to church, it was
just a natural part of my life. I didn't question the habit. (Maybe not a good thing, but
whatever.) I came to really look forward to it and want to go, especially because I
had many friends there whom I didn't see at school. Through confirmation and HS and college, my faith really became
more my own. I've never left the faith. It's always been there, and I
credit that (at least in large part) to how my parents/family raised me. And how it wasn't about just showing up at church, it was important to
have relationships and get involved in things at church. It really was a second
family, not just a place to go.
Many who were "forced" to go to church would dread
it as a duty or fear, not an extension of the community
Yeah. For me, it was community. I want to help foster that
feeling for my eventual hypothetical kids.
-----
And it was right there when a lightbulb turned on.
So what if it's really cold today.
So what if I'm choosing not to talk or sing today.
So what if I don't feel my best today.
My church is my community.
To me, church isn't about just showing up. It's about relationships and getting involved and being part of a community. It's a second family, not just a place to go.
I can still be present and be a part of that community when I'm silent. I can still be filled with and reminded of the great promises of God's love and grace that are spoken in prayers and liturgy, preached in the Word and sermon, sung in hymns and anthems, and played by the organ.
So,
I went to church this morning,
and I'm glad I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment