Sunday, May 26, 2013

Dog sitting

That's right.
I, Laura, who does not like large and/or jumpy dogs, who has never had a furry pet in her life, who hates getting licked in the face, and who as a child was so afraid of dogs she would cross the street to use the opposite sidewalk to get away from dogs, 
volunteered to help dog sit.

Our friends Paul and Mary, former Jesuit volunteers and casual mentors of ours, are in Europe for a bit, so they've entrusted us with their beagles for the week. They are lovely dogs, and they have their fair share of quirks. Both are a little anxious and thrive on routine. Myself often being a creature of habit and routine, I figured it could be something I could handle. 

Here's what I've learned from dog sitting. 
• it takes patience. Being firm yet patient fosters trust and eventually (most of the time) gets results. 
• always make sure you have the keys BEFORE you put the leashes on. 
• Rhett is an excellent source of advice and assistance, and I don't think I could've survived without him. 
• when getting dogs to quiet down at bedtime, making laps around the dining room table (complete with leashes) is a viable option. 
• it's nice to know that animals understand anxiety too. Once I had things figured out and the pups were more used to me, all of us felt better. 
• "The King's Speech" is (still) on Netflix, as are six seasons of Foyle's War.
• I don't think I'll ever get a pet of my own. Hanging out with other peoples' pets is just fine by me. 
• at the end of the day, it's nice to be helping out friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment