Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My first day--Tuesday August 21

Highlights of Day 1 at All Peoples:

  • having trouble getting my bike locked up, and having locals stand there and watch me struggle
  • getting a tour of the building (which is SWEET! and has a bathroom around every corner, I swear.)
  • dropping off school supplies at another church to be packed up and given to kids at the church block party
  • getting more keys than I know what to do with and my very own office! (which is currently a mess)
  • shoveling dirt with the youth in the Kids Working To Succeed (KWTS) work progam to fill in the trenches around the foundation of the new greenhouse we're building
  • getting giggled at by the KWTS youth for starting a prayer with "Hey God..."
  • meeting a bunch of new people
  • being one of four white people at the church that I encountered all day
  • noticing my internal prejudices, misconceptions, assumptions, and comfort levels
  • eating freeze pops. twice.
  • smiling and generally just being excited
  • telling people that I get to work here for an entire year and realizing how awesome that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment