"When I was in seminary my preaching professor reminded me that there is a fine line between talking about things that are emotional in a sermon and manipulating people's emotions. What he meant is that the job of the preacher is to get out of the way and let the word do it's work. Now that doesn't mean we should intentionally preach bad sermons, but rather that we have to remember that it isn't about us and the reactions we get. The point was lost on me at the time but it's something that I've thought more and more about over the years. I think the same can be said for worship. We can manipulate people into having an experience that becomes more about the feeling than it is about Jesus. To put it in Lutheran terms, we are always searching for God on the mountaintop, but the place where God is most clearly revealed is on the cross. That ought to give us pause when it comes to thinking not only about worship but about the Christian life."
Worship this past Sunday at All Peoples was a lot more gospel/raise hands in the air/informal than some of the Sunday worship experiences I've become used to. I definitely liked it, but it was different.
I also am reminded of the ever-present question: what is worship?
Does it have to be in pews in a church building? Does it have to have a structured order and perhaps a bulletin or projection to go with it? Does it have to include music? Does it even have to include speaking at all?
I don't think any of these are absolute requirements.
What do you think worship is? What components does it need?
What do you see is the point or worship?
The dictionary gives the following definitions of WORSHIP:
- reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
- formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage: They attended worship this morning.
- adoring reverence or regard: excessive worship of business success.
- the object of adoring reverence or regard.
Maybe, just by sharing a smile and a kind word with the folks at the food pantry and throughout my work today, I was worshiping the Lord by revering God's precious human creations.
No comments:
Post a Comment