Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The beginning of a new adventure...LVC style

Now this blog has even more of a purpose than previously!
As of yesterday, I have officially begun my year of service through Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC).  In a nutshell, I've been telling people that it's a lot like Americorps, just...Lutheran-y.  If you want to know some specific stuff about LVC, I'd just recommend checking out their website. They explain it pretty well, and to be perfectly honest, I need a break from always having to explain it!

I'll be living in a house in Milwaukee with 5 other people.  All of us have different placement organizations in the city where we'll be working, and together as a household we figure out food, chores, rent, community meetings, etc., living in an intentional community together.

Job wise, I am the ministry assistant at All Peoples Church, an ELCA congregation in inner city Milwaukee.  Basically, my job description is very general, so I'll get to work with any and every aspect of the church.  There's a huge youth population in the congregation, so I'll likely be working a fair amount with the various youth programs.  All Peoples has a community garden as well, and they're in the middle of building an urban greenhouse too.  Being an urban church serving a community dealing with many racial and socioeconomic hardships, there is quite a variety of outreach ministries serving the area.  Pastor Steve also said in my interview many months ago that there's a lot of musical talent and ministry opportunities in that capacity, for which I am very thankful. :)  It sure seems like my day to day schedule and tasks will vary a ton, and I'm PUMPED about that! It will be a lot of fun to explore working in a ministry setting.

This week is orientation at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, MN.  Friday I move down to Milwaukee, by way of stopping in De Pere to pack my van full of all my stuff.  It's super convenient for me that both orientation and my placement city are pretty close to home.  With this week, I lucked out; for the full year, I planned on being close, so I don't miss all of my brother's childhood.

If you have any questions or comments regarding LVC as a whole, All Peoples, what I'm doing, how I'm doing, etc., please don't hesitate to holler.  Email me, facebook me, leave a comment, send me a smoke signal, whatever.  I don't recommend using passenger pigeon, however; I'm not sure if my housemates would appreciate that :)

In the coming year, I plan to write updates on my many experiences here to share with you all.  It's going to be a HUGE new adventure for me; I hardly know anyone going into this, and it's definitely a change from the familiarity of college, camp, or home.  I ask that if it's something you do, please keep me and my fellow volunteers in your prayers as we begin this journey together.  If prayer isn't your thing, think of me every once in a while.

Stay tuned for more exciting adventures and reflections as I both serve a struggling and loving community and learn and grow more than I can ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment