Friday, February 15, 2013

a compendium of Lenten things

I seriously LOVE the season of Lent.
In fact, it's borderline weird how much I love Lent.

My second favorite color is purple
because of Lent
(and Advent, which is purple at my home church in De Pere).

So, to share my Lenten obsession with you all, here are a smattering of articles, blog posts, sermons, March Madness-style brackets, humorous things, ideas for the season, videos, and general awesomeness.

my Ash Wednesday post from last year: Dirty Forehead Day

music for your Lenten playlist:
"Show Me" by Audrey Assad
New York Hymns album "Songs for Lent" (I LOVE this album. Can't tell you how many times I've listened to it.)

Two guys exploring Lent through tough questions, presented in video form.  From a friend of a friend.
http://www.adamlorenz.net/blog/

My fantastic artist friend Alxndr who does a set of illustrations for each day in Advent that tie to a particular bible passage has decided to continue this idea in Lent this year!  Check out his artwork inspired by the gospel account in Mark, spanning the Triumphal Entry through the Great Commission.
http://www.illustratedadvent.com/


Love March Madness?  Interested in saints and other assorted important church-y figures?  Join in the voting to see who'll win the Golden Halo!
Lent Madness!

I LOOOOOOOOVE Nadia Bolz-Weber and her church House for All Sinners and Saints.  Here are two Lent-related sermons of hers.
"The Crap We Give Our Hearts To"
"HFASS' 40 Ideas for Keeping a Holy Lent"

I also LOOOOOOOOVE author and blogger Rachel Held Evans.  I just finished her book "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" which I highly recommend.  Anyway, here's a list of ideas for Lent that she and her blog followers came up with for this year.
40 Ideas for Lent 2013

I've been following Emily Carson's blog, "The Lady Pastor" lately.  Here are some of her brief reflections and ideas for things to do in Lent.

I'm going to start doing this Lenten Photo a Day challenge, as posed by "Rethink Church" from the United Methodists.  Better late than never. Watch for future posts on this.

Assorted Articles for your reading pleasure.
Ash Wednesday: Blessing the Dust
40 Ways to Live Simply for 40 Days of Lent (from Sojourners Magazine)
Day 350: to dust you will return (a picture-a-day reflection from a college friend of mine)

Assorted Lenten humor that have caused me to enjoy many a laugh.
Things Jesus Never Said
What happens to your ash by the end of the day
Batman and Robin
A message from Rick
Get your ash in church!

aaaaand
some pictures.







No comments:

Post a Comment