However,
I'm not sorry for using the word "vagina."
I'm sorry that society has stigmatized the word
made it seem like it's dirty
unacceptable.
If you know me, you know I'm sheltered. I accept this, and I'm okay with it.
When I auditioned for the Wartburg College production of Eve Ensler's "Vagina Monologues" in the winter of my junior year of college, I said the word vagina more in one evening than I had in my entire life. It was a bit jarring, and honestly a bit liberating. I hadn't even seen the production until I was in it, but I had heard good things about it, and my roommate Becky was the co-chair of the V-Day committee. I'd been missing doing drama/theater things in college, this didn't require any memorization, and it was for a good cause (stopping violence against women), so I figured, heck, why not.
Since auditioning and getting a part in the monologues that year,
- I auditioned and was part of the production my senior year.
- I gave the V-Week Eucharist message at Wartburg in 2012.
- I now own two Wartburg V-Day shirts, one of which bears the words "Victory Valentine Vagina" on the front, the other of which I designed the front graphics for.
- I made a "Jesus Loves Vaginas" button which I proudly display on my backpack.
- I have a greater appreciation and awareness of women's rights issues and stopping violence in all forms against all genders.
- I have this activist/feminist kick every once in a while.
- I've gotten more interested in women's issues in connection with my Christian faith, including the idea of "biblical womanhood" and women's roles in the Church and how the Church can take part in stopping the violence.
- I helped host an Alternative Valentine's Day event put on by the Step by Step Collective here in Milwaukee.
- In my own ways, I participated in the 1 Billion Rising movement to stop the violence.
I think I'll call this my "vagina journey."
It's a part of who I am, now.
and I continue to journey with my sisters and brothers across the world.
Until the violence ends.
Love your tree, love yourself.
Wartburg College V-Day RISES!
Eve Ensler's V-Day message to everyone rising
The official V-Day "Break the Chain" music video/dance



No comments:
Post a Comment