Monday, August 4, 2014

99 - birthday

#100happydays

day 99 (August 3)

Today is my birthday.

I didn't make a big deal about it. As I've gotten older, I've made less of a production of my birthday. I'm not big on parties and get-togethers where I'm the center of attention, and I was also in the midst of moving and traveling so I didn't have the time or energy to put something together.

What I did do is make sure I spent my birthday with people I love. 
That I accomplished.

My family sang happy birthday to me in person, even before breakfast.

I went to the service at my home church with my family this morning. I worshiped with my parents, brother, and church family. My brother and I got to take communion for the second time together, which is really special to me (the first time was back in March for his first communion). I heard a great message from Pastor Luke and be present for a baptism. I got to see and catch up with folks in my church family whom I dearly love.

I spent the afternoon with my boyfriend and his family, celebrating his grandfather's 50th ordination anniversary. I got to take some time to play his grandparents' piano, playing some Broadway and other music that I don't have at home. It was a very low-key, informal concert of sorts, and, in the process, I realized that I'm better at playing piano than I give myself credit. I also got to eat some really great food, including these awesome homemade desserts. I could just hang out and be.

I surprised my dear friend Tara. A family member of hers passed away a few days ago, and since I was in town, I went to give her a hug. It was great to see her.

Spending time with people is so valuable to me, as I have discovered.
It doesn't even really matter what we're doing.
It's just nice to be together.
And being together makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment