day 92 (July 27)
Today was my last Sunday worshiping at my church in town. (I'm still going to our Wednesday night service, but that's a little different and much smaller crowd.)
One thing I will always remember about my church is the hungry jar.
One thing I will always remember about my church is the hungry jar.
During the offering, besides the ushers passing the plate, young people of the congregation walk up and down the aisles collecting dollar bills being waved by parishioners. Kids joyfully deposit this change, not in their pockets, but in a big plastic jar up by the altar. Each month the money from the Hungry Jar goes to support a different charity. I think this month it's going to Sugar Creek Bible Camp; previous months have included the local food pantry and Children of Peace International.
I love this tradition.
It's a great way to show children (and the congregation) the value of simple giving, and of actively involving young people in worship. It makes me happy seeing so many kids, just doing their thing :)
Thank you, St. Peter, for welcoming me into your community for this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment