Sunday, August 24, 2014

church shopping

Being that I have recently moved to a new community, I've begun to go church shopping. 

This past Sunday morning's selection was an ELCA congregation about a five-minute drive from my apartment. I'd scouted it out earlier and have a few connections their already, so not feeling very bold, I went with this 'safe' choice. 

My first impressions: 
- The sanctuary is beautiful. A modern, light, and open feel, with what I would call a curved or thrust (harkening back to my theater days) layout of pews and chancel. I really enjoy this rounded-pew-shape, as it makes everyone feel somehow more together and welcomed. It feels like I've been to a number of churches with this sanctuary design in the past few years, including All Peoples. 
- They don't have an organ. I was sad about this, but I wasn't surprised. They do have a beautiful grand piano and a great pianist who's a strong leader and quality soloist. 
- The cranberry ELW hymnals are very well worn. I was a bit surprised to see this, but it makes sense: there are no projection screens, and in going through the service, it was clear that congregants refer to the hymnal quite often on a given day. (You can see from one of my pictures below that the order of worship is very condensed and simple. Sure saves on paper, too!) The psalms portion was marked with dark pinkish marker on the edges of the pages for ease of locating, which was super helpful. 
- The church has a thriving music program and it sounds like lots of talent and interest. Many choirs of many types and for many ages were advertised. They're even doing a Christmas cantata! 
- Even if I don't go to this church "full time," they have mid-week worship services that I could attend. Interestingly, these services are on Thursday, one at 12:15pm, the other in the evening. 
- Though they seem like a predominantly white and relatively affluent somewhat-suburban church, they have a variety of ages of attendees, including young adults!
- I liked the pastors; the woman led most of the service, the man preached and did the words of institution. Both sang parts of the liturgy (in tune and in time!).

I really liked how today's sermon included an excellent, simple yet very informative explanation of the order of worship. The lectionary passages included a couple of oldies but goodies. It was nice to hear another perspective on them. I also appreciated how the pastor touched on the difficulties of current events, including the goings on in Ferguson, Missouri, and the conflict between the Israeli and Palestinian peoples. Not a supercharged social justice sermon like Pastor Steve gives, but good and appropriate in the given context of the community. 
Thinking back on the parts and message of the sermon, I can't quite place how all the bits fit together (either it was loosely tied or my brain was unfocused and is fried...probs the latter). I did manage to find a couple of empty spots on the bulletin to write some things down, though. 



In a world of unknowns
and destructive patterns,
we find hope in the transformative Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment