I've been scheming up plans for this project for close to a month, I bet. Now that it has officially begun, I feel hyper-aware about how alive I'm feeling today, probably because I've been thinking about it so much. I suppose that's a good thing, as that's basically the point of me doing this.
It's hard to choose just one thing or moment today.
- helping one of my classes understand the progress they've made in appropriate classroom behavior
- feeling fairly awake and well upon waking up this morning
- seeing my piano student teaching two of his peers about how to play the piano after school in my room
- eating leftover Jesus after church an remembering fondly when I did that in college
It almost feel cliché for me to say, if you know me, but I'm going to say it anyway:
I felt most alive today playing my violin for worship.
I played along with the anthem performed by the combined choir from three churches who shared the ecumenical service. Our organist/music director let me play song with any of the hymns I wanted to, too! I wasn't sure if she was going to let me do this, as it was last minute, but I was thrilled when she said yes. As I told her, it was perfect for me since I needed to give my voice a break (I'm still recovering from losing it again...), and my violin is really just an extension of my voice.
I played,
and it was freeing.
I didn't need the words to express the emotion and connection of the moment, nor did I have to worry or focus on anything else:
I had the music.
Wondering what this "Alive Project" is all about? Check out my introductory post, or keep following along as Lent and the project progress. I think you'll catch on.
No comments:
Post a Comment