Name,
job,
where I've lived recently,
educational background,
church background,
etc.
Then one question that made me sort of freeze for a moment.
"So, what are your outside interests?"
I sat there, puzzled for a split second.
"What else do you do with your time?" the man elaborated, sensing my confusion.
"Lesson plan, lesson plan, lesson plan!" I said a little sarcastically, yet quite seriously.
The lunch and congregational meeting continued, and I was saved from too much more awkward personal small talk. However, a variation on that one question stuck with me.
So, what else do you do?
I realized that I can be a boring person sometimes, if I think about it.
I know it's been six months since I most recently moved, and I don't know a ton of people outside of my work at school. I know some church folks, but because I'm not in town every weekend, I don't always see that crowd consistently. Being a second year teacher and new to the district, I still spend a ton of time writing lesson plans, which cuts down on my social time. Granted, I'm also not the best at "normal" social habits, either. I have no shame in coming home to solitude on a Friday night (or any night) and not speaking for hours on end (which is great rest for my still-recovering voice). My friends from before I moved live at least an hour and forty minutes away, but most are more like 3-6 hours from me, so we keep in contact by phone, video chat, and social media.
But how to answer that question...
I decided I'd better think of some answers so I'm prepared the next time someone asks.
So.
What else do I do?
I get involved at church.
When given the opportunity, I often go to worship services twice a week. I've been known to go to church as much as three times in one weekend (not including Holy Week/Three Days when this number may at least double). I've also joined a social discussion group through one of my churches in town that meets two Mondays a month. Right now we're reading The Phoenix Affirmations, which I definitely recommend to anyone but particularly Christians who are yearning for a way to express their changing and growing faith instead of having to explain, "I'm a Christian, but..." Church is a place where I find positive community and a sense of belonging, even if the people I interact with most are usually older than I.
I cook and bake.
Creating edible things in the kitchen is definitely a stress reliever for me. During my senior year of college, my roommates would joke around that I'd make applesauce when I'm stressed. Funny thing was, though, they were right. I've gotten pretty good at cooking more than just Apple sauce since I being in LVC and having to take my turn at cooking for the house once a week, and add to that the last two years cooking for myself. I love baking, especially when I can share my creations. I haven't bought a loaf of bread from a store since November.
I read.
I'm working on this one more. I don't often get to read for fun, or rather I don't make time for such endeavors. I'm currently reading two books for church groups - The Phoenix Affirmations, and The Presbyterian Handbook, for the "Presbyterian 101" adult education class after Sunday service. The latter of these is a sometimes silly and simple to understand compilation of major theological points and denominational traditions. I grew up in the PC(USA) church, so I know a bit about Presbyterians, but one can only remember so much from confirmation class, and I feel like I have a better understanding of Lutheran theology than that of the Presbys. I also recently finished rereading the seventh Harry Potter book, mostly with an audiobook I checked out from the library for a long car ride. I reread one of my favorite young adult novels (Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie) the other day.
I knit.
When I can, that is. Sometimes knitting can be painful because of my chronic tendinitis problems, but I try not to let that stop me too much. I have a couple projects I need to be working on right now, but I haven't because 1) I don't have the right yarn which means I need to go buy some, and 2) I don't have a pattern, not that that has ever stopped me. I mostly like to knit for others, but I also have quite a collection of patterns and projects I'd love to make for myself someday.
I do music.
I know that's a bit of an odd verb to use, but I think it's the most accurate.
I listen to music almost all the time. I sing in the shower. I sit down at my electric keyboard and plunk things out for fun. I teach private piano lessons. I watch musical movies. I transcribe and arrange music for my friends (most recently for two friends' weddings and one friend's church). I play guitar and figure out how to play songs I like to listen to. I pull out my violin and play along with recordings from when I was in bands in college. I attend local concerts and productions. I have spontaneous jam sessions with my friends when I go to visit.
I think.
I spend way too much time on Facebook, but while surfing social media, I do read articles and watch videos that make me think about what's important in life and how to change the world for the better. I keep up with my activist friends in Milwaukee, their quest for justice, and how I can act and stand in solidarity. I ponder ways that I can share my values through my actions and my work at school. I think about my students and how to reach and support them.
I write.
Like right now.
Perhaps I'm not all that boring.
What else do YOU do?
No comments:
Post a Comment