So instead of forlornly sitting in church feeling sorry for myself and the fact that I can't sing, I decided to live-tweet the service again.
I asked Pastor Rachel if she could announce that I was live tweeting, as she had mentioned that we should do that the last time I chronicled the service on social media. She told me after service that she had seen a number of heads turn and perk up with interest when she made the announcements. Many people approached me about it after the service, too. Our congregation has a decent mix of age ranges and technological abilities, but I'd say we do swing a bit toward the 'older crowd'. It was nice to hear interest in what I was doing from those of older generations; it's just a different form of being engaged, and I like to hear that people are open to it.
My favorite thing I got out of the service this morning was the analogy that the Transfiguration is like a movie trailer - a sneak peek of glory yet to come.
Enough of my typing here. I'm going to let Twitter do the rest of the talking.
(Bear with me: I'm a rather wordy/thought-filled person. I think I tweeted 52 times during the service alone.)
Gonna live tweet the service at #1stpreswausau tomorrow. Lost my voice again, so this way I can still feel engaged. #21CentChurch
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
@Prsby_Luthrn awesome! (Not the lost voice...) will let folks know.
— Rachel A. Wann (@rachel_wann) February 15, 2015
Running a little late bc I slept in...still made it in time for announcements. #sicklife #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
God of all glory, we have hidden from you, but you have NEVER hidden your love for us. #confession #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Many mini conversations and walking around while passing the peace. So many friendly folks here at #1stpreswausau :)
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Our fearless trio of middle school youth are leading the children's time! They are great. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Transformer blanket! Works as a tent, pillow, & suitcase. Great way to explain the offering for @CWS_RDU. #childrenssermon #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Others: Do you know today the Lord will take your master away from you?
Elisha: Yes I know. Shut up. #scripture #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Elijah ascending on his Triumph. Motorcycles in the bible! #biblicalhumor #scripture #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
listen! Listen! LISTEN! sings the choir. #voiceofGod #anthem #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
I got to hear/sing w/ the choir @ rehearsal this week so I got a sneak peek of the #anthem. Sounds cool/different w/ organ! #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
#Transfiguration. An interesting and difficult #scripture. I wonder how we'll unpack it today. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Sermon time! #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
"This is my son, the Beloved. Listen to him." -God
Definitely heard that at Jesus' baptism too. #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
#Transfiguration is like a movie trailer: gives us a sneak peek of things to come, leaves us a bit confused & wanting more. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Why did the #Transfiguration happen? For Jesus: that he'd have courage to face what's to come. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Why #Transfiguration? if only for Jesus, why invite 3 clueless disciples? To help them see that something big is happening #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Mountaintops are where big God things happen: 10 Commandments, white cloud like the Israelites followed in the exodus #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Big #mountaintop, religious experiences aren't something that mainline Protestants don't talk much about. Too strange. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Encounters with God's glory look different for all of us. #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Peter longed to extend the #mountaintop moment, felt like he needed to say something. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
The old way (Elijah, Moses) was finished, the new way (Jesus) had begun. #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Jesus said "don't tell anyone about this yet." The #Transfiguration wouldn't make sense till post-resurrection. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Then after the #resurrection they could explain "so that's what it's all about!" #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
We are often overwhelmed by experiencing God. We prefer rationality & logical explanation. Presby prerequisite lol #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Sometimes there is no other explanation to a #mountaintop experience than "God is truly in this place." #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
We want to make #mountaintop experiences last forever but they are only meant to be glimpses of God's glory. #Transfiguration #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Too bad I'm on #voicerest. I love "you satisfy the hungry heart"! #1stpreswausau pic.twitter.com/OnejblZlT2
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
The mystery of your presence Lord no mortal tongue can tell: whom all the world cannot contain comes in our hearts to dwell. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
#hymn texts capture thoughts so well. God satisfies the hungry heart & shares God's mysteries through the gift of communion. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
One: Lord, by your spirit,
All: Grant what we ask.
a responsive corporate #prayer #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
I feel like the contemp worship song "Marvelous Light" might be appropriate w/ today's theme. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Some of @rachel_wann's words in the #prayer made me think of it anyway. Lord, lead us into your marvelous light. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Wait, we're actually singing the #doxology today?! Cool! We always sing it @ my home church. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Ah but the #doxology used slightly different words than "normal". #1stpreswausau pic.twitter.com/kbMBrWnoog
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
#communion Sunday! #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Seriously, I LOVE #communion #liturgy. Such beautiful, powerful words. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
At #1stpreswausau we sit for #communion. I'm still used to standing for all of communion w/ the #Lutherans.
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
You refuse to give up on us, so you became one of us. #communion #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
I think the last time I chose to #livetweet a service it was also a #communion Sunday. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
[God] took grace, rolled it up, and struck the grave so that Jesus could come out & defeat death. #communion #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
As your cup of grace fills us, may we overflow so that we can ask our neighbor, what can we do for you? #communion #liturgy #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Big whole wheat round loaf of Jesus. Yum. That loaf may just be for show, though. #tastyJesus #communion #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Yup, we get precut bread chunks. Eh, it's better than wafers at least. #communion #tastyJesus #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
I wonder who's gonna get to eat the leftover Jesus loaf that got broken during the words of institution... #tastyJesus #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Organist is playing a homemade medley of #communion #hymns. It's like playing name that tune! #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Holding the little cup of grape juice & not spilling is a trick I've perfected since my 1st #communion in 2nd grade. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Aww no fair, @rachel_wann gets to drink from the fancy silver chalice. Pastor perks I guess :) #communion #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
#communion: revealing the #mystery. #1stpreswausau pic.twitter.com/w5r7ni0NmE
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Didn't know that last #hymn. Should've actually opened the hymnal & looked at the words instead of tweeting :P #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Oh, what a BEAUTIFUL final charge. We will take the light of hope with us! #1stpreswausau pic.twitter.com/mnL75GlBqq
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
I can always look it up later. I always keep my bulletins, & I have a hymnal at home. #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
@grandpaparazzi1 didn't see you today. You at home? Glad my live tweeting could keep you connected! #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
And, I tweeted a little bit during our adult ed/Sunday School class.
Time for the #Presbyterian101 adult ed class. Talking about power, Jesus as Lord & Savior, confessing what we believe #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Here's a secret: #Presbyterians are #Christians! It means we follow Jesus, naming him as our Lord & Savior #AdultEd #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
God uses words to change people's lives. Naming & claiming. #AdultEd #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
God has NOT just left us alone. God chose to be w/ us in our mess & lead us out of it. #Jesus #AdultEd #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
Who do you say that God/Jesus/Spirit is? So many different names, sometimes meanings get confused in translation. #AdultEd #1stpreswausau
— Cross+Denom Laura (@Prsby_Luthrn) February 15, 2015
No comments:
Post a Comment