"We can't take this anymore,"
Bailey said. "We will not allow another person to perish the way that Derek Williams Jr. perished in the back of a police cruiser."
I have no idea how far beyond Milwaukee the Derek Williams case is reaching, but if you're at all interested in social justice, particularly racial and economic justice within the criminal justice system, I emplore you to take a moment and read some of these articles, watch some of these videos. Take a moment to support justice, peace, and healing in the city of Milwaukee. Follow the reopening of this case of an African American man who died in the back of a squad car, most likely at the hands of police brutality and neglect.
I've put the links in as close to chronological order as I could get, to assist in comprehension. I will add more links to either this page or a separate blog post as the investigation and community meetings continue.
If you choose to watch a couple of the videos, I must warn you that they contain graphic and disturbing footage of Derek Williams dying in the squad car in July of 2011.
1) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Medical examiner revises suspect's death ruling to homicide
the video link available from this article includes graphic footage
2) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Homicide ruling in police custody case riles community
this is how All Peoples is involved--in addition to Pastor Steve's recent correspondence with the police department, we served as a meeting place for community leaders to come together and respond to the change of Williams' death ruling and how that and the actions of the police involved in the case impact the Milwaukee community.
3) WTMJ4 news: Attorney for Derek Williams' family speaks out
the video links available from this article include graphic footage
4) WTMJ4 news: Chief Flynn reacts to ruling on suspect's death
5) Fox6 News: Chisholm, Flynn to hold news conf. on Williams death investigation
6) Statement from the Milwaukee Common Council: U.S. Attorney's insight needed in Williams death investigation
7) WUWM Milwaukee Public Radio: Common Council members want federal inquiry into man's death while in police custody
8) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: DA Orders inquest into death of man in custody
includes quotes from a press conference of the DA and Chief Flynn
9) Press conference with Chisholm and Flynn:
10) Fox6 News: Chief Flynn Discusses Derek Williams Investigation
11) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Gina Roberts (investigative reporter and writer of the first article I've listed) Wednesday chat transcript
12) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Religious leaders express disillusionment with Flynn
including statements from Pastor Steve from All Peeps
Thanks for compiling all of this.
ReplyDelete