Friday, September 21, 2012

processing

After my...excitement on Monday, I wrote a song to try to process my emotions and everything.  Usually I'm not much of a songwriter, but I had written some text prior to sitting down with my guitar that seemed like they might lend themselves to being lyrics.
You can pretty much put together the pieces about what happened by reading my song (below) and my last post.  Maybe I'll post the audio soon so you can hear how the melody goes.


Em             G
     Worlds collide and I'm
Em                 G
caught in crossfire.  I'm
Em                  G
trapped in the aftermath
D/Dsus/D
trying so hard to
Em              G
pick up the pieces shattered
Em           G
mend the wounds, recover
Em    G          D/Dsus/D
understand, move on


C                                      G/Gsus/G
We're not in Kansas any more
D                                            C
this is the way things have to be
                   Am
but do they really?


Em                 G
     Sirens blaring everywhere, I
Em             G
Pull over, I'm not scared
Em                G                D/Dsus/D
Just passing by, it's not for me
Em             G
Start to go on my way
Em          G
figure I'm cool to leave, but
Em                 G
hear a thump from behind, then
D/Dsus/D
six more from her, and then her words

Em               G
I should've checked the mirror
Em                   G
could've been crystal clear
Em           G                              D/Dsus/D
but then again, would things have changed?
Em                            G
Could've happened anywhere, not
 Em            G
just on the urban streets; what
Em                       G                  D/Dsus/D
makes this monumental then for me?

Em             G
    Worlds collide and my
Em        G
mind is racing with
Em                         G
thoughts of expectations, reactions, and
D/Dsus/D
cultural differences
Em          G
Maybe there's racial tension,
Em               G
I don't take well to swearing,
Em                  G
You may not see my pain,
      D/Dsus/D
unless you see my tears

Em                G
This ain't no small town Kansas
Em              G
Maybe I'm building street cred
Em             G                            D/Dsus/D
Doesn't diminish the impact on me
Em             G
I am still a child of God, a
Em               G
saint and sinner, journeying to
Em             G
learn from this life, to grow,
D/Dsus/D
and be.


I love Rafiki's line from "The Lion King" when he says, "It doesn't matter; it's in the past!"  (it's about at :30)
I think one needs to be careful of the context in which the line is applied, though.

The past DOES matter.  What happens to us and has now past impacts who we are and who we become.
No matter what we do now, though, we cannot change the past.

In terms of who's at fault for the "incident," I definitely think that it doesn't matter. What's done is done, what's past is past.  Nothing can be done to change the past.

The way Rafiki addresses the past is very useful: we can either run from it or learn from it.

No matter how difficult the process may be,
I choose to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I have had a very similar experience, and it can be so very jarring. I'm so glad no one was physically hurt, but please don't diminish your own woundedness. A lashing tongue can cause real pain. By the same token, Fear can cause people to lash out in extraordinary ways. I guess the lesson for all of us is to live in the present, fully aware. But then again, there's a reason they're called "accidents"...

    ReplyDelete