Awkwardly bright and obnoxious institutional lighting is one way to stay awake.
The light is piercing and at times hard on one's eyes. Reflecting off the linoleum flooring, it gives the impression of a stark, rigid, forced environment.
As I briskly walk down the hallways at school, I force myself to stay awake by plowing ahead, never taking a moment to pause.
My kindergarten students, whom I see at the very end of the school day, often complain of being tired, wanting to lay down, and sit rather than stand.
"I'm sorry, I'm tired too. But I can't lay down. No one else in our class is laying down. You need to sit up," I tell them.
We urge each other to stay awake.
As I work on my lesson plans late into the night, many times I struggle to stay awake.
To experience the light and fullness of the coming Messiah for whom we wait,
we must be awake.
"Wake, awake, for night is flying."
The watchmen on their heights are crying;
"Awake, Jerusalem, arise!"
Midnight hears the welcome voices
And at the thrilling cry rejoices:
"Where are the virgins, pure and wise?
The bridegroom comes, awake!
Your lamps with gladness take!
Alleluia! With bridal care
And faith's bold prayer,
To meet the bridegroom, come, prepare!"

No comments:
Post a Comment