My planner is one of the most important tools of my teaching career thus far. It is where I map out each week's lessons, keep track of what needs to be accomplished during my prep periods or at home, and write down appointments and such. Here's a glimpse at my planner for this coming week; I'm sure more will be added as time progresses.
Winter concert season is in full swing.
The K-2 and 3-5 concerts in one district are this week on Thursday, and my K-5 concert in my other district is next Monday.
There are SO many things to keep track of and remember. I can't even conceptualize all the things to remember at the same time, there are literally so many. I'm afraid to make a list of them all for fear of getting overwhelmed and feeling hopeless.
For the most part, my students are ready. Some classes are more ready than others, but it'll all work out in the end.
I really hope I'm ready.
I have hundreds of students who are counting on me.
I have multiple colleagues who are counting on my assistance, as I am also counting on them.
Are we ever truly ready for Christmas?
As a society, we seem to always be preparing, making lists, going shopping, cooking, planning, wrapping, decorating...but do we ever stop and say, "yeah, I think I'm finally ready for Christmas, now."
Was Mary ready to have a baby? I certainly don't think she was ready for a stable to be the location she birthed the Son of God.
Was the world ready to receive such a humble, human, radical, grace-filled savior? They were expecting someone high and mighty to come riding in on a horse, ready to overthrow the Roman government. What they got instead was the simple son of a carpenter, preaching about peace and forgiveness and ideas that made people uncomfortable.
After trying our best to prepare and giving our all to the task at hand,
perhaps this Advent season we can step back and say,
I may not feel like I'm ready,
but it's time for me to stop.
I have done everything I can,
and I am as ready as I can be.
Come, Lord Jesus.
Take me as I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment