Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Advent Obsession

I have an obsession with Advent.
the anticipation
the music
the wonder
the preparation
the waiting
the excitement!

Advent is one of my favorite liturgical seasons.  Christmas itself is great and all, but I love the whole month-ish leading up to it.  I've had an Advent banner that I've counted down with since I was 2.  My brother and I still use it; he at home with the real thing, and I in the form of pictures I took before I left for college that I use for my Facebook profile pictures every year.

As with the season of Lent this past year, the United Methodist Church has decided to do a photo-a-day challenge, this time with Advent.  I had fun participating in the challenge back in early spring, so I plan to do it again, using it as a way to reflect, step back, and prepare for the coming of Christ.  My mom also gave me an Advent wreath that I plan to light at dinner as often as I can.  My friend Rev. Amanda gave me a lovely box of 4 blue tins of Danish butter cookies with approximately 7 cookies per tin, creating a pretty decent Advent cookie "calendar" to savor.

I hope in some way you'll join me in celebrating this Advent, be that through reading blogs, delving into scripture, finding a devotional, keeping up with your own calendar or banner, lighting candles, eating cookies, going to church, listening to/singing along with music, or doing whatever helps you connect with the Spirit.

Illustrated Advent by Alxndr Jones




No comments:

Post a Comment