Tuesday, May 20, 2014

20 - calm

#100happydays

day 20 (May 16)

In the midst of frustration 
and hectic chaos 
and hustle 
and bustle 
and angst 
and anger 
and unknown,
it's important to find moments 
of calm and peace

in the beauty of creation,

and in the serenity of music. 

A young student of mine was having a very long, rough day. He stayed behind after his class had left for recess, and he had kind of worked himself into a tizzy. I could sense that he needed was a calm break to internally regroup, so in the empty, darkened classroom, I turned on this video of the Canadian Brass playing Michael Kamen's "Quintet," a very serene piece. (We had also just learned about the French horn, and this piece provides an excellent example of a beautiful, emotional horn line.) I sat down to write some notes in my ledger and let him take a moment. 
My student wound down, becoming entranced by the soothing brass sounds. 


It was the most calm I've felt in a while, too. 

Nothing else mattered right then, 
just the moment 
and the music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment