day 6 (May 2)
I know this portion of my lesson planner looks rather blank, but we did do a lot in my middle school classes this week. We've been doing a lot of prep for our final projects, and though it's chaotic at times and I was unsure as to how it all would work, I'm really pleased with how things are coming along. Working with middle school students is not always my forte, but there are some moments when it is SO rewarding, especially lately. The creativity I've been seeing with the recycled instruments and sound stories being created with sixth and seventh grades, respectively, is wonderful.
I post this picture for this day, however, because of an eighth-grade moment that just floored me.
I have four different groups within the eighth grade class that are working on unique, student-created musical performances (singing, dancing, rhythmic movement). I don't want to give out any spoilers, but I am pleased with the variety of styles of performance and the enthusiasm with which plans are being made.
One of my students came up to me in my classroom right as I was about to leave to head down to my afternoon schools. She told me that she and the other girls in her group had been coming in during lunch recess EVERY DAY since we had class on Wednesday to work on their dance, and they have a lot to show me next week. They had approached me about this lunchtime practicing arrangement during class on Wednesday, and I said they would have to check in with the band director because I know she gives lessons in our classroom over the lunch hour. Not only have they worked out a system with the band director, they've been using their own time to work on this final project, something that I am not requiring students to do, as I plan to give in-class work time as well.
This group of eighth grade young women is taking some major initiative and putting forth effort into something they are creating for a subject that I know is not typically their favorite.
I am so impressed, and so proud.

No comments:
Post a Comment