Sunday, May 18, 2014

Christ, another day...

First of all, I love this prayer of confession from today's service.

Newness scares us... 
HECK YES, IT DOES!


Here are my doodles from today's sermon.


I always get a little concerned when I know the scripture text for a given day is John 14:6.  
I AM the way, the truth, and the life. 
No one gets to the Father except through me.
Today's gospel text has troubled me for many years.  I never know quite what angle is going to be taken in the sermon.

It sure sounds like Jesus makes it very clear about who and what we are to believe. 
I walked out on a sermon once because the guest preacher said "there are many ways to God."  Regardless of what the rest of her context was, I shut it out, firmly thinking to myself, NO. Jesus said, "I AM the way..." etc.  I was at a point in my faith where I was trying so hard to figure out what it was that I believed, not what someone else had told or taught me to believe.

On the other hand, these two sentences seem very limiting.  
What about people of other faith traditions and practices who don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah?  What about people who choose not to believe in any higher power?  If God lovingly created and creates ALL things, why would God not extend that love beyond the Jesus-followers?

What did Jesus really mean by this I AM statement? 

I remember Pastor Steve from All Peoples explaining it quite eloquently during a Wednesday lunch bible study for the Isaiah 55 ministry, but I can't quite remember exactly what he said...I know he talked about the literary context, what people of that day (particularly his followers) knew and understood, and how the statement made sense to his audience at the time because of this.  

I'm not trying to start a theological debate on this passage 
right here on this blog, 
so please don't.  
I encourage you to think about what you think Jesus means, 
ask questions, and seek answers,
but for now,
just hear me out, and keep reading.
Take a moment to hear this perspective.

The way that Pastor Joe went about things this morning didn't necessarily clear up my major moral and theological quandaries, but it did remind me that Jesus' statement is meant to assure,
to give us confidence in who God is
to give us hope in the weariness of life.

Don't worry, Jesus says. I've got this.
Do not let your hearts be troubled, Jesus says in verse one of this chapter. 
In the last days before Jesus' death and resurrection, he comforts the disciples' fear of the unknown. 
He reassures the disciples that they know the way to the place he is preparing for them. 
They know God because they know Jesus.

We can look at a day, thinking, 
Christ, another day...
Crap. Look at everything I have to deal with. Life sucks. Ugh.
and be like the guy in my doodle, a Negative Nancy of sorts, dwelling on what's wrong and how difficult life is, all the while not realizing the grace-filled umbrella keeping us safe and dry.

or

we can remember Jesus' promise of hope, 
that he is preparing a place for us, giving us faith in the face of unknown,
and say,
Christ, another day! 
Another chance. Another opportunity to live in your love and share it.
We can see who holds that umbrella of grace over us
and be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment