In preparation for this, I put some thought into what to wear, not only to be professional, but to also have my outer image reflect my identity. Dress for success, right?
1. tie dye scarf
In many ways, tie dye describes my personality. It's bright, energetic, vibrant, spunky, random, sometimes a bit "out there", and uniquely beautiful. My background at camp is also represented by tie dye; so much of who I am today (as an individual, a teacher, a leader, a faith mentor) has been impacted by my time at Luther Park.
2. boots
I'm a Midwesterner, and these represent my logic and sensibility. And, these are my go-to footwear for the winter, as they can be very functional as well as dressy.
Besides, let's be real, there's a fair amount of snow on the ground.
3. #MissionRemission bracelet
Though no one has yet asked me what my bracelet is about, I proudly wear it to support my dear friend Alec and his courageous journey with leukemia. Besides the obvious reason I wear this bracelet, this part of my wardrobe represents my dedication and commitment to supporting my friends, family, and community.
4. the yarn on my other wrist
These two pieces of yarn never leave my wrist.
The purple yarn (yes, it is purple) I've had on since Lent of my freshman year of college. I'm not sure I had a real reason for putting on, other than that way I'd always be wearing purple for Lent, and I'm a huge liturgical nut. The red yarn is from a worship service with the Night Owls program at camp last summer. Each person got a bit of yarn to wrap around themselves, connecting us as a group and reminding us that we are one in Christ (Ephesians 4:4-8). I had a green strand that broke off a few months ago; that one was from a devo I did in band about a young fellow who passed away from cancer and taught me to never give up and always be a cheerleader.
Like the friendship bracelets I still wear on both my ankles, these yarn bracelets may not be very fancy or match with everything I wear, but to me they serve as reminders of who I am, what I've learned, and of my history. Their simplicity also represents how I am not afraid to be real and genuine.
5. my cross necklace
This necklace I received from Kaari's dad's churches during the summer of 2011. A few of us from the Luther Park staff went down to lead worship for their services, and we were given these crosses as a token of their support of our ministry and of their community of which we are a welcomed part. I like the simplicity and ruggedness of the nail cross and the black cord I put on it (to make it adjustable). I wear it a lot, both as a visible representation of my Christian faith and as a reminder of the greater community I belong to--the body of Christ.
Now all I have to do is wash my hair so I can wear it down and put on some dress pants instead of my jeans!
No comments:
Post a Comment