Thursday, March 28, 2013

LPaD 43: help

I helped out at and participated in the Soul Food Seder this evening, as the Maundy Thursday activity co-sponsored by All Peoples.
I assisted by taking the shells off hard boiled eggs, cutting those eggs in half, setting tables with eggs and matzoh crackers, making sure an adult at each table had a book of matches to light the candles, and reading the opening two lines of the liturgy thingy.

It was a very interesting program, learning again about the Jewish Passover traditions and seeing how the remembrance of the African American slave history fits in with the Hebrew people in slavery in Egypt, and how all of this matters to us today, even to me, a white Christian.  I also got to see tons of people I sort of know in various ways in my Lutheran connections throughout the city.  And the program was followed by an AMAZINGLY delicious soul food meal.  Overall, the whole experience was great.  It really helped me to start to get into the mindset of Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and the anticipation of Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment