Monday, March 25, 2013

LPaD 39: restore

Yesterday was the 33rd anniversary of the murder of Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador. 

We had an ecumenical prayer service in his memory at All Peoples.  Our congregation and our partners at St. John's in Brookfield are sisters to Los Heroes de Fe (The Heroes of the Faith), a vibrant Lutheran congregation outside of San Salvador.  More about this partnership can be found here and here.

When I told my friends we were having a service in memory of Romero, I asked them if they'd heard of him before.  Many hadn't.  Come to think of it, I don't think I had heard of him till maybe a year or two ago, I can't remember.  
This gives us all the more reason to remember the legacy of this man.
In short, Oscar Romero, believed to be a good "status quo" bishop, ended up advocating for the poor and speaking out against war, violence, and human rights violations in his country.  His homilies were broadcast throughout the nation, sometimes the only news about the current state of conflict that could be shared because of media restrictions.  He was murdered in the middle of mass at his church on March 24th, 1980.

Oscar Romero did and continues to restore hope for the Salvadoran people.



For more information on Romero's life and work, here are a couple of resources:

For information about the Jesuit Martyrs and context of the war and conflict in El Salvador, check out Mary's blog posts and paintings: part 1 and part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment