Saturday, March 9, 2013

young people are awesome

Wednesday night I had the privilege of hanging out with some of the VERY energetic young people of All Peeps.
I was reminded yet again why I feel called to work with youth.

I had the opportunity to be myself and be completely silly.
I shared a song I learned from student teaching to try and help pass the time, knowing that a few of my youth thought I was totally off my rocker, and not minding one bit.

I recalled and used a method of classroom management that I firmly believe in.
At my elementary student teaching placement, I learned about "control theory," a method of helping students make positive choices and take ownership of their actions and their classroom.  I haven't directly used this method for a while, but I was reminded of it as I was writing up answers to a teaching job application.  Low and behold, opportunity presented itself, and I dusted off my skills and used them without a struggle.  Hopefully I was able to show the kids that I care about their well being, not just about getting them in trouble or stopping them from having fun.

I did my best to make worship a positive experience for EVERYONE. 
I don't believe that worship is a "shut up, we're in church" sort of place.
So, we drew pictures on the paper tablecloth to stay occupied.  I drew a picture of Moses parting the Red Sea, finding little ways to sneak in teaching bible stories.  The kids got practice writing, something definitely valuable for the young ones.  We played tic tac toe.  I drew some music staff and notes, and it peaked one child's interest, allowing me to even throw in some music education/appreciation.  Some of the other kids were writing answers to the discussion questions posed in the bulletin.
We respected the others in worship by being quieter.  I respected the attention spans and limits of the kids by letting them be differently engaged.

One youth noticed the differences in the words of the Lord's Prayer.
At the church we were visiting, they use "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us."
At All Peeps, we use "...trespasses...trespass against us."
I got to use this opportunity to explain to her the three different ways I know of saying the Lord's Prayer and why things are a little different.
I think a lot of it has to do with ways that people understand the meaning of the prayer.
The versions we use also have a lot to do with what we're familiar with or what we're used to saying.
I can't wait to open up this conversation further, not only with her but also with more All Peeps young people and with any children and youth I work with in the future.

It wasn't a very normal worshipful evening for me, but I didn't leave frustrated or exhausted.
I came out of the experience with better relationships with the young people of my church
and with a renewed joy and appreciation of child-like faith.

Young people are awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment