Monday, June 2, 2014

27 - concert

#100happydays

day 27 (May 23)


For the sake of privacy, I don't post any pictures of my students. 

So instead, 
this is me between the afternoon general music concert and the evening band concert, just chillin' on the swing on the playground behind the school. 
It was a beautiful day, 
perfect for swinging,
enjoying a moment of calm,
relishing in the victory of a job well done by all.
(I really wonder why I hadn't tried out the swing set earlier in the year. This playground is great!)

This was my first ever spring concert as a teacher. I was never involved in a spring concert in any of my student teaching or field experiences, so planning and executing this performance mostly solo was a HUGE undertaking and adventure. 

Not going to lie, but MAN does it feel good to have the concert finished. 
It went pretty smoothly, all things considered. There were many parts that I loved, some parts that came together so well, and other things that I know I'll tweak for next time. All in all, it was a great experience. 

Three concert moments really stuck out for me:
1) the third and third/fourth grade classes singing together in harmony, and with great balance! I had been wondering how best to do this since my somewhat failed attempt at the winter concert, and what I figured out worked! I taught one class the melody and the other class the harmony. Each group had to be independent and confident in order to hold their own when we put the two groups together. It sounded quite impressive if I do say so myself.  
2) the applause for one of my eighth grade groups. One group was made up of students with varying levels of special needs, and it was incredible the support they received shown by their peers and the audience. This group was dedicated to their song/dance, coming in of their own accord during homeroom time almost every day for a few weeks to practice. To the casual observer, it wasn't the most polished piece, but to those who know these young people, this was a major accomplishment and a great display of effort and passion. The split second the song stopped, the crowd exploded with applause. We were all so incredibly proud. 
3) the power of combining all the voices together for the final song. There is something so magical about hearing almost 200 voices singing the same song in unison. It's even more powerful when you're the one leading it, conducting, doing the motions right along with them, and beaming with joy as they blow you away with their sound and enthusiasm. 

It was crazy hectic preparing for this concert, right up until the second the show started, but there were some amazing moments that reminded me,
THIS is why I teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment